Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings

describing personal experiences...

i ride using ultegra-10 and my riding buddy has centaur-10. we are both weak climbers so i have ultegra 12-27 and my buddy has centaur 13-29, both riding 53/39 double front rings.

so last week we (purely coincidentally!) needed new chains and new cassettes in a hurry before a big hilly 145km ride coming up next weekend.

due to our lack of plannning the LBS only had 12-27 in 105 guise and 13-29 in Veloce only. No Centaur and no Ultegra cassettes for a week or so. Dang! So we opted for Durace chain and 105 12-27 cassette in my case and my buddy got a centaur or veloce chain (dont remember) and a veloce 13-29 cassette instead of centaur. We are not weight weenies but were worried about quality of the gear changes a bit.

Off we went for a 90km ride this morning having saved ~$20-$30 each.

Moral of the story? We did NOT notice any difference to Ultegra/Centaur cassettes. None.

So next time you need to replace your Ultegra/Centaur cassette - save a few $$$$ and buy 105/Veloce equivalents. I suspect that 105/Veloce chain will work just as well as Ultegra/Centaur chain but the chain price difference is not great ($10?).

Disclaimer: we dont race, just riding for fitness and endurance so we dont time how long it takes to change gears in a heat of the battle! 8^)

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,565 Posts
you made sound decisions...parts at that level will generally perform just as well as their more highly priced cousins, they're just a bit heavier.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks cxwrench. just curious, what is the weight difference between cassettes 105-ultegra-durace and veloce-centaur-chorus-record? 50 grams per each group jump?
will 105/veloce cassette last longer than ultegra/centaur cassette or last as long as?

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
Uh, yes

acid_rider said:
Moral of the story? We did NOT notice any difference to Ultegra/Centaur cassettes. None.
Just so ya know, this has been discussed repeatedly. Lots of riders with Record and DA drive trains run Veloce and 105 cassettes. Weight penalty is small, and the effect of that weight is virtually zero, the shifting is the same, cost is hugely lower, and especially compared to Record and DA the cassettes are much more durable because they don't have any Ti cogs.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kerry, yes, I was aware that Record/Durace down to Ultegra/Chorus/Centaur differences were minor for chains/cassettes.

What I was not clearly aware of is that going one more level down to humble 105/Veloce saved even more money when it comes to chain/cassettes and there was no detectible differences to Ultegra/Centaur/Chorus. Which is great news, of course! 8^)

I am now wondering if my next bike should just have a full 105 or Veloce group and save a few hundred dollars with no ill effects! For those who are not racing (90% of folks here?) - why pay more than Veloce/105 cost? The only reason I can see is "because you can afford it and want to have it". Any other practical reasons to buy Ultegra/Centaur? Apart from ~200 grams of weight penalty does humble 105/Veloce group last any less that Ultegra/Centaur? Brakes on 105/Veloce not as strong at Ultegra/Centaur? 105/Veloce Brifters wear out sooner? Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
differences

acid_rider said:
Kerry, yes, I was aware that Record/Durace down to Ultegra/Chorus/Centaur differences were minor for chains/cassettes.

What I was not clearly aware of is that going one more level down to humble 105/Veloce saved even more money when it comes to chain/cassettes and there was no detectible differences to Ultegra/Centaur/Chorus. Which is great news, of course! 8^)

I am now wondering if my next bike should just have a full 105 or Veloce group and save a few hundred dollars with no ill effects! For those who are not racing (90% of folks here?) - why pay more than Veloce/105 cost? The only reason I can see is "because you can afford it and want to have it". Any other practical reasons to buy Ultegra/Centaur? Apart from ~200 grams of weight penalty does humble 105/Veloce group last any less that Ultegra/Centaur? Brakes on 105/Veloce not as strong at Ultegra/Centaur? 105/Veloce Brifters wear out sooner? Thanks again!
I think the primary difference between the groups is weight. Let's face it, weight is driving the market (or is the market driving us?). To pay $400 for a cassette with a bunch of less durable Ti cogs seems insane to me but everone can view this their own way. I've been very satisfied with my Centaur and Veloce groups and they have held up well over the years. If I win the lottery might I buy the insanely overpriced Record 11 group but that certainly does not represent a good value for the money

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
Why?

acid_rider said:
For those who are not racing (90% of folks here?) - why pay more than Veloce/105 cost? The only reason I can see is "because you can afford it and want to have it". Any other practical reasons to buy Ultegra/Centaur? Apart from ~200 grams of weight penalty does humble 105/Veloce group last any less that Ultegra/Centaur? Brakes on 105/Veloce not as strong at Ultegra/Centaur? 105/Veloce Brifters wear out sooner?
Of course, it is impossible to categorically state that "XXX group is a better value than YYY group" because value cannot be objectively determined. However, as you move up the line in components, you typically get better materials, closer tolerances, better finish, design improvements, etc. Whether these things are worth it is completely up to you. I do know that most everything about Recor/Chorus is "better" than Centaur or Veloce, and there have been times when there were significant functional differences (ability to shift through the entire cassette in one shifter throw, for example). IME, top end stuff is more durable and holds its appearance better. You get to decide what you want to pay for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts