Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
BeaverTriathlon
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last two time trials my rear racing wheel (Rolf Vector Pro with a wheelbuilder cover) has been acting up. It seems as though the cassette is tight? grabby? won't spin freely? I know the Rolf Vector Pro is notorious for being loud when spinning but is it also known for having a tight free hub body? The rear derailleaur (when coasting) slaps up and down due to the cassette not spinning freely. I'm afraid something is going to break. I took the wheel off and compared it to my Shimano R-550 training wheel. The cassette on the shimano spins much, much easier than the Rolf. Is there an easy fix to get the cassette spinning easier? This problem just started a week ago. Thanks alot.

-Sean

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
If I am not mistaken, then freehub will slide right off of a Rolf hub once the skewer is removed. I'd pull it off, wash it out w/ solvent, and relube. See if that helps. I did mine several years ago, and though I wasn't having the same problem you are, it sure quieted the thing down. I used a pretty heavy grease and it went from sounding like a machine gun to nearly silent. Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just looked into this. It appears that Rolf Vector wheels were built by Trek between 1996 and 2001 after which Rolf Prima wnet their separate way.
Is it definitely a cassette and not a screw on block? If yes, you need to remove the cassette (rotor) body. I don't know how this is done as I've never seen one. you will then be able to ascertain whether it is the bearings - in which case it should not be that difficult to replace them - or something else.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
cyclust said:
If I am not mistaken, then freehub will slide right off of a Rolf hub once the skewer is removed.
I remember that as well—just hooked my fingers behind he largest cog and pulled. I think there was an end cap which pulled off right along with the hub body.

Bearings is another matter, you need a special tool for drive-side replacement.

·
BeaverTriathlon
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I figured out the problem. The wheelbuilder cover somehow became lodged in between the cassette and the body of the hub, which was making the cassette stick, rub, and slow down. Operator error, not functional error. Mark this down as a possible problem for people who use covers with Rolfs.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
An observation about a couple sets of Rolf Vector Pros I had come in the shop. This may, or may not have something to do with it, but check it out. (This is not just for Rolfs, I've seen it on a loot of wheels with press on spacers)

Check the wheel for bearing side load. The axle may spin freely in your hands, but once it's clamped into the dropouts, and the spacers compress, they put side pressure on the bearings. Now if you spin the wheel in the drop outs . . . (Do not put the chain on the wheel, tape it to the chainstay, or whatever is neccessary to keep it out of the spokes) . . . . you will see it spin down very fast, and notice a lot of resistance.

Sometimes the fix for this is simple. some time the bearing were not pressed all the way in the hub body. Sometimes the solution is not so simple. You might need to put a micro spacer between the back of the bearing, and the shoulder of the axle. (This also requires you to pull out the bearing, and now you open another can of worms).

·
BeaverTriathlon
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
new problem

For people, who are experienced installing wheelcovers...

I've had my wheelbuilder cover since Christmas. I installed it on my Rolf Vector Pro and haven't taken it off since. Well, today I took it off to check the spokes and to do some maintenance/ cleaning of the wheel. I have now attempted to put the cover back on and I have a problem. The cover isn't sitting like it was before. The area behind the cassette is simply bubbling out and rubbing against it. The cassette won't spin and, no matter how I position the cover, the cover won't stay down and out of the way of the cassette. Anyone else, who takes their cover on and off alot, have problems with this? I was thinking of punching some holes in the cover underneath the cassette and zip tying it down to the spokes. Any suggestions before I ruin my cover?..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.