Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Huge in Japan
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sram 10 speed chain, I forget which
Sram PG-1070 cassette. 12-27 (12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-24-27).
The rest: Shimano 6700

I won't bore you with my awesome story about chasing a creak down so long story short the riveted joint between the 21 and 27 tooth is loose. I figure one of three options would be to attempt to swage the joints with some type of a beating.

So I decided I'd go the lazy route and ask if any of you guys have done well by swaging the rivets on the cluster to secure things. I'll go at it if there is a chance but if the internets says it is a lost endeavor then that will save me from finding out the hard way.

Is me re-working the rivets by swaging them known to be a reliable remedy? If not what is the part number of that cluster and where might I procure one? Are there known reliability issues with that cluster that should keep me away from procuring another one? My experience here is completely anecdotal but I would like to know if it is systemic in which case I'll avoid and move into a Shimano.

Thank you for helping a lazy guy out.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I have not had the problem you describe, but what do you have to lose by giving it a shot? I would probably try to use a vise with some sort of punch to spread the rivet. A hammer would be my second choice and a BF hammer as 3rd :)

·
Huge in Japan
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not had the problem you describe, but what do you have to lose by giving it a shot? I would probably try to use a vise with some sort of punch to spread the rivet. A hammer would be my second choice and a BF hammer as 3rd :)
Oh trust me I've written it off and have the whole scenario played out in my mind but before I execute I figured it would be worth my knowing if it were fruitless or not and if it were then the knowledge of which would save me swapping out the reworked cassette then going for a ride to see how effective it is. I just want the easy way out.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I don't think you can fix it. You can try but I wouldn't bother. Also I don't know anything about replacing just those cogs. The easy way out is to get a different cassette. I'd go Shimano if I were you after this, chain too.

·
Registered
942 Posts
If done properly, it should hold (unless somehow you break the end of the rivet due to brittleness from work hardening). You should be able to see if it tightens up before you install it, right? I would probably hit all the other rivets too while doing it.

How much wear is on it? If a lot, I'd buy a new one anyways. If fairly new, it may have been a manufacturing defect that you are now correcting. New 105 5700 cassettes in 12-27 run $30., which is likely easier than getting SRAM parts.

·
Huge in Japan
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If done properly, it should hold (unless somehow you break the end of the rivet due to brittleness from work hardening). You should be able to see if it tightens up before you install it, right? I would probably hit all the other rivets too while doing it.

How much wear is on it? If a lot, I'd buy a new one anyways. If fairly new, it may have been a manufacturing defect that you are now correcting. New 105 5700 cassettes in 12-27 run $30., which is likely easier than getting SRAM parts.
Less than 5,000 miles and barely shows wear, which is disappointing and why I inquired earlier if there are known to be issues with this brand/model of cassette. I had it pinned down as being the creaking culprit before I took it off and swapped it out for a 6700 (11-28) from another bike and out of curiosity after I had it off I tried to move the cogs by hand and I can in fact move them ever so slightly by hand which only solidified in my mind that is where the creak was coming from. So I'd have to hammer every rivet, which I think I will bang away at and swap it back in to see if that remedies it.

I was thinking of moving into some DA 11 speed this winter (shifters, brakes, FD, Ultegra RD, Ultegra cassette). Not 100% sure on sinking money into that or sinking money into some touring stuff. I don't want to spend money on both so I'm batting it around and my mind not being made up is kind of keeping me from buying another cassette at the moment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts