Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I picked up my Orbea Orca which the 08' frame was replaced under warranty with a new 09'. The shop built up a white and black 09' frame and it looks amazing.

Only problem is that the cassette is now hitting / rubbing the dropout. It rubs only it on a few teeth where they are ramped out, however not good. It's scratched or put a small mark in the dropout so it is definitely rubbing.

Not going to ride it until it's fixed. Dropped it back at the shop today. They were also puzzled. The shop manager was out and is going to look at it tomorrow when he is back since he built it up.

Any idea how to fix this or adjust the cassette or freehub in. Full Chorus, 12-25 cassette, no spacers behind cassette, Ksyrium Elites, no problems with the previous 07'/08' Orca.

Orbea for 09' did a handful of upgrades that included redesigning the rear dropouts. Great Job!!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
first off, congrats on the new frame. The problem sounds kinds bizarre to me cause I just sold my 09 orca with full chorus and was also running a 12-25 with mavic wheels. My first guess would be to check out the cassette. Were you're wheels converted to campy using an American classic cassette or is it the genuine campy? Also were you at one point running a 13 tooth small cog before and didnt change out the lockring perhaps to the appropriate sized one? Maybe these suggestions can give you a starting point to look at. Although I seem to remember someone else running into this problem a couple of weeks ago on this board. Check around in here and see what they might have done to remedy the situation. Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cassette as far as I know is a genuine Campy. It is what the bike came with. I am having a hard time understanding why a different cassette lockring would have an effect on the cassette position. Maybe someone could explain.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I could be wrong, but I recall that Campy has a different lock ring for their 11 tooth Cassettes and another one for 12 and up. For the 11, Campy provides the ring with the cassette, for the 12 and up they don't.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are correct. I see that Campy suggests the use of a different lockring for 11T cassettes. However I would believe the 11T lockring is needed so the chain doesn't hit the locking on the smaller 11T sprocket. Just my thoughts. Maybe someone could confirm.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just remember having to order lockrings that were nearly cassette specific for a customer. I guess I misunderstood what exactly was rubbing the dropout from your original description, sorry. I'm not sure where to turn on this but my first suggestion would be to call orbea-USA about it first thing Monday morning. Most shops have a tendency to have a pride issue with calling manufactures on these kind of things but I would highly suggest you do so. Good luck and keep us informed on the happenings.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK so here is the deal according to the wrench at my LBS who talked to Orbea today.

The rear dropouts of the new 09' Orca are mostly hand made and hand fit into the frame. The problem is that Orbea was not checking the dropout form after build for clearance which now they are gageing to make sure that the builder essentially removes enough material during the build. I guess they had to rework many of the frames that were initially made. In addition the problem is primarily with Campy and is really only limited to Record, Chorus and maybe Centaur cassettes that have 3-4 teeth on the cogs that are ramped outward. I guess the 12 tooth Veloce cog doesn't ramp out and will work or the 11 tooth cog of all the cassettes. 13 tooth bottom cogs from everybody are totally out. 13 tooth cogs are BAD, it won't hit the dropout it will hit the carbon chainstay.

So, my shop is going to install a 11 tooth cog instead of the 12 on my 12-25. I guess this works just fine. I am unsure how the shifting will be from the 11 to the 13. I hope the ramps line up OK. If not they also ordered me a 12 tooth Veloce as a backup.

Anybody have experience with this set-up. Shifting from 11 to 13 no 12 cog.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No kidding. Have to say the shop and Orbea have been a great support. However this is my fourth replacement frameset.

Also, I found out with Campy an 11 tooth #1 cog must be with a 12 tooth #2 cog. I just want to run my 12-25 the most common cassette range and be done with it. My biggest problem is I want the bike back and I want it to work. This thing was big $$. I don't think I am asking too much here. To say oops the dropouts won't ever fit a Campy 12 cog and you must for as long as you own this bike use and 11 - something or use a cheap cassette that doesn't have all the same ramps is insane.

·
Registered
549 Posts
What good is great support if you need it so frequently? First I would say, "if you are replacing it with new, give me the 'reengineered' new." I wouldn't feel bad that it's been replaced already. Why get a "defective" frame ever for full price - replacement or otherwise.
Those frames should be sold with a caveat. You know they are crossing their fingers trying to unload those. Just don't let it be on you!
After that, I'd try fixing it myself by shimming the axle(and reducing the nondrive side spacing) and redishing the wheel. Why limit yourself to cassette mods - that's a consumable part that will need jacking with more often. JMO

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
they owe you a frame built to proper specs.
don't settle for less.

if the shop won't hardball the manuf. time to demand your money back from the shop and buy elsewhere. What they are offering is not appropriate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.