Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying a new cassette and was looking for some input on what gear range to get. I live in a pretty hilly area and the 11-23 is not working here. I'm thinking either 12-25 or 12-27. What do some of you guys use and what is your topography like? I'm about 6'2" 180lb, medium muscular build if that helps in your guidance. Thanks

·
Registered
550 Posts
Really difficult for long distance advice

It's tough to compare one person's riding to another, too many variables. Personally, I have mountains on one side, flats on another and foothills north and south, so I swap out rear wheels a lot and use 11-21, 12-25 and 12-27.

Here's what I'd do if I were you. Ride your toughest hills and try to make a mental note of the physical toughness level between your lowest and next-to-lowest gear. Then, go to sheldon brown's website;

www.sheldonbrown.com

and go to his "gearing" section. There you'll see some online gear calculators. Using the gear inch mode enter the data for the gears you have now. The chart that comes up will tell you how many "gear inches" your perceived effort between your two lowest gears was in real life. Usually that will lead you to a rough idea of what gear inches you want to be comfortable in your area. Play with the gears on the chart and you'll be able to tell for yourself what cassette combination is best for you.

Good luck and have fun! :)

TACSTS said:
I'm buying a new cassette and was looking for some input on what gear range to get. I live in a pretty hilly area and the 11-23 is not working here. I'm thinking either 12-25 or 12-27. What do some of you guys use and what is your topography like? I'm about 6'2" 180lb, medium muscular build if that helps in your guidance. Thanks

1 - 2 of 2 Posts