Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an old guy riding a triple. There are times I would like a little more 'low gear', i.e. fighting headwinds on an uphill stretch late in the ride,... my question is...can a 12-27 cassette be swapped for my current 12-25 without the need for a longer chain or other changes? I have a stock Ultegra 9 sp,with the long derailleur and it seems for $60 or so I could get 2.6 more (actually less) gear inches or around an 8% lower gear than my current set up. Ninetey percent of my riding is done in the middle ring and the middle cogs, I rarely use the big ring....though I admire those of you who do!

Thanks

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Also, carefully shift the bike into the large chainring/large cog combo, while it's on a stand or you are holding it up. If the chain is too short and you shift into that combo by mistake while riding, you'll destroy the deraileur or frame. You shouldn't use it while riding but you want the chain to be long enough if you do it by mistake. Chances are it'll be fine, but it's better to check.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do you tell if the chain is too short? If it shifts into the large cog, large ring combo then it is okay? Or is there some amount of 'play' remaining in the RD that I should be looking for. I certainly don't want to trash a RD or frame!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.