Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two Campy cassettes, a 12-25 and 13-26. I keep the 13-26 when I know I'll be doing a lot of climbing, which is most of the time I guess. When I know I'll be training on the flats for a couple weeks or more, I'll throw on the 12-25. Overall I'd say the 13-26 has been used a bit more. Any problems with switching back and forth like this? Am I potentially causing accelerated wear on the chain or cassettes? When I switch from one to the other it shifts just fine without any adjusting.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
don't get it...

There is so little difference between a 25 and 26, I don't see the point. The more imprtant difference wiht the 13-26 is the addition of the 18T cog, that is mostly for flatlanders who seem to get caught in situations where the 17 is too big and the 19 is too small. I used a 12-21 9 speed which has an 18 tooth on relatively hilly terrain, until 10 speed came out (2000), then I changed to a 12-25 and never missed the 18.

A real climbing cassette would be a 13-29, or a 12-27 which Campy does not offer.

This might be one of the rare cases where a 50/36 or 52/36 with the 12-25 might actually make sense.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cassette swapping....

C-40 said:
There is so little difference between a 25 and 26, I don't see the point. The more imprtant difference wiht the 13-26 is the addition of the 18T cog, that is mostly for flatlanders who seem to get caught in situations where the 17 is too big and the 19 is too small. I used a 12-21 9 speed which has an 18 tooth on relatively hilly terrain, until 10 speed came out (2000), then I changed to a 12-25 and never missed the 18.

A real climbing cassette would be a 13-29, or a 12-27 which Campy does not offer.

This might be one of the rare cases where a 50/36 or 52/36 with the 12-25 might actually make sense.

I agree that there is not a huge difference, but there is a difference between a 25 and 26. If you are doing an 80 mile ride with 4000 feet of climbing, no big deal. A lot of rides I do involve 9-12000 feet or so over 60-75 miles. In these situations that 26 makes a noticeable difference, especially when there are sustained segments at 15-20%.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Gotta agree

I have three campy cassettes: 11/23 13/26 and a new 13/29 My 13/26 is the everyday cassette. I throw on the 11/23 when riding flat terrains (like when I visit family in the middle of Ohio where there aren't even any bumps). The 13/29 is for my upcoming trip to Colorado to help carry my old butt over the mountains..... But the difference between a 25 & 26 is less than 4%. I gotta believe the difference is mental....not calling you "mental" or anything...

But to answer your question: I obviously swap cassettes all the time. Swap cassettes, three difference wheelsets, no harm done.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
head case

PaulCL said:
I have three campy cassettes: 11/23 13/26 and a new 13/29 My 13/26 is the everyday cassette. I throw on the 11/23 when riding flat terrains (like when I visit family in the middle of Ohio where there aren't even any bumps). The 13/29 is for my upcoming trip to Colorado to help carry my old butt over the mountains..... But the difference between a 25 & 26 is less than 4%. I gotta believe the difference is mental....not calling you "mental" or anything...

But to answer your question: I obviously swap cassettes all the time. Swap cassettes, three difference wheelsets, no harm done.

Are you calling me a head case? I AM NOT A HEAD CASE!! GOT IT!! NOBODY CALLS ME A HEAD CASE!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Uh, only kidding.

I agree with you all--pretty minor difference between the 25 and 26. But when I have a 70 mile ride planned with about 12kilofeet of climbing, I'm pretty happy to look back there and see that 26. It just takes the edge off, just slightly. As I continue to train in the hills like this, I imagine I will get strong enough to be comfortable with just the 25.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
where???

amygdala said:
I agree that there is not a huge difference, but there is a difference between a 25 and 26. If you are doing an 80 mile ride with 4000 feet of climbing, no big deal. A lot of rides I do involve 9-12000 feet or so over 60-75 miles. In these situations that 26 makes a noticeable difference, especially when there are sustained segments at 15-20%.
Where do you see this kind of grade for very long and that much climbing? I ride the Colorado mountains and can't think of many routes like that. The triple bypass route only has 10,000 feet of climbing in 120 miles.

If you're using a 53/39 you must a great climber. I use a 53/39/28 with a 12-25 and don't spend much time in the 39 when I'm on a mountain.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
California

C-40 said:
Where do you see this kind of grade for very long and that much climbing? I ride the Colorado mountains and can't think of many routes like that. The triple bypass route only has 10,000 feet of climbing in 120 miles.

If you're using a 53/39 you must a great climber. I use a 53/39/28 with a 12-25 and don't spned much time in the 39 when I'm on a mountain.

For days when I want to just focus on climbing, I drive to an area that has several canyon roads of varying length (between 4 and 8 miles or so) and steepness, and spend the day going up and down, up and down, up and down.... There is also the opportunity to spend some time on the flats between climbs if desired.

I didn't mean to imply that there were stretches of 15-20% for miles and miles and miles, but there are climbs of between 4-6 miles with an average of about 9% which, to me, is pretty steep.

I use a 53/39 and, as I said in the post that started this thread, either a 25 or 26. Just for kicks (and leg strength) I'll sometimes do the climbs in a much larger gear and lower cadence. For the really sustained steep stuff, however, I generally always use my lowest gear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts