Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to tell if a cassette is worn out by looking at it? I know how to test a chain. I know you should replace the chain with the cassette, but how do you know if the cassette is the problem?

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
no...

The only way to know for sure if some of the cogs in a cassette is to put a new chain on it and pedal in every cogs under a high chain tension. If the chain skip on any of the cogs, those are worn out.

Are yo sure you know now to check a chain for wear? Most people think they do, but don't.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
"I know you should replace the chain with the cassette"

First, the chain (when required), and then the cassette (if it skips)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here's my situation. I bought a bike used with "less than 1000 miles" on it. I could tell that the chain was new due to that sticky stuff they preserve new chains with, but it's an off brand chain. Chains are cheap to replace relative to a $150 DA cassette, so I don't want to just replace the cassette because the chain is slipping if I can't visually tell that something is wrong with it, given the fact that this chain may be the problem. Not all chains are equal, and I prefer DA.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
???

otb_again said:
here's my situation. I bought a bike used with "less than 1000 miles" on it. I could tell that the chain was new due to that sticky stuff they preserve new chains with, but it's an off brand chain. Chains are cheap to replace relative to a $150 DA cassette, so I don't want to just replace the cassette because the chain is slipping if I can't visually tell that something is wrong with it, given the fact that this chain may be the problem. Not all chains are equal, and I prefer DA.

Are you now saying that you have a chain skip problem? Chain skip with a new chain is not the fault of the chain, it's due to worn cogs. If the skiping is on one of the larger Ti cogs, it's definitely the cog that's worn. Ti cogs often last as little as half as long as cheaper steel cogs.

What's the "offbrand" chain? A DA chain is on of the worst on the market, so your offbrand, like a KMC, may be an improvement.

As others noted, changing the cassette with the chain is NOT required. If you're real smart, you buy 3 chains with connector links and alternate the use of them, changing each before it's half worn. You're guaranteed that the cassette will last through all three chains (up to 15,000 miles for me).

·
24,573 Posts
The bike may only have 1000 miles on it, but the wheel may have 15,000 miles (from another bike)
Buy an Ultegra cassette, and the skipping will go away.

PS Does it skip on all cogs?....or only a few?

·
24,573 Posts
Or if you have a stiff link.

·
24,573 Posts
If taken care of, the cassette should last 12-15,000 miles
(lube chain often)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.