Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rohloff makes a tool for determing wear on your cassette. But, I understand that it will not work on narrower 10 speed cassettes. Is this true? Is there an alternative? With the prices for cassettes these days, it seems like there should be!

By the way, please don't tell me to track the mileage on my cassette - there is no way I can keep track of it...

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
MWT said:
Rohloff makes a tool for determing wear on your cassette. But, I understand that it will not work on narrower 10 speed cassettes. Is this true? Is there an alternative? With the prices for cassettes these days, it seems like there should be!

By the way, please don't tell me to track the mileage on my cassette - there is no way I can keep track of it...

I always thought you check cassette wear by installing a new chain. A new chain will skip on worn cogs. If it doesn't, you're still okay.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
I'd bet a lot of shops will tell you to replace your cassette more often than actually needed. As posted, you'll usually need a new chain before a new cassette.
What I don't get - how can you not track your mileage?

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Mileage doesn't really matter, it's how often you shift and what is you fav. gearing that matters.

If you hammer in the 4th cog... you only gotta replace the 4th cog. That's why I never really worry about buying DA cassettes since I don't hammer in the Ti.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,566 Posts
MWT said:

we have that tool at the shop and it seems to work fine on 10spd cassettes. if you have problems, you can always remove the chain that comes on it and install some 10spd links...

·
Registered
318 Posts
I always thought it was a good idea to buy 2-3 chains when purchasing a new cassette. But then that was when chains were under $10.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
spastook said:
I always thought it was a good idea to buy 2-3 chains when purchasing a new cassette. But then that was when chains were under $10.
No kidding - now a decent 10sp chain is at least $40.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts