Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Cassette??

582 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Kerry Irons 
#1 ·
Tips for cassette removal. I am updating my cassette and attempting to remove the old one, and have the wrench into the locking ring, yet it absolutely WILL NOT budge, I am 210# and fairly strong, and with all of my weight it will not move. I sprayed it with some WD40 and tried to warm it with a hot towel, yet it is rather recalcitrant, and don't worry, I know I am turning it in the right direction....Any tips...HELP?????

#2 ·
chain whip??

physasst said:
Tips for cassette removal. I am updating my cassette and attempting to remove the old one, and have the wrench into the locking ring, yet it absolutely WILL NOT budge, I am 210# and fairly strong, and with all of my weight it will not move. I sprayed it with some WD40 and tried to warm it with a hot towel, yet it is rather recalcitrant, and don't worry, I know I am turning it in the right direction....Any tips...HELP?????
You didn't mention using a chain whip. I assume you have or the lockring would turn freely in the correct direction. Spray the lockring threads with penetrating lube a let it set awhile before trying again. Try a cheater bar if all else fails. The lockring will either come loose, strip the threads or strip the splines.

#3 ·
Yep

C-40 said:
You didn't mention using a chain whip. I assume you have or the lockring would turn freely in the correct direction. Spray the lockring threads with penetrating lube a let it set awhile before trying again. Try a cheater bar if all else fails. The lockring will either come loose, strip the threads or strip the splines.

I'm using a chain whip.....I'll try it....thanks.

#4 ·
I always stand over the wheel and push down on the wip and a 12" crescent wrench. I use a tool that has a "built in" locating pin, so that it can't slip on the lockring splines.

#7 ·
ctracer01 said:
at our LBS we call it the "powerbar"-just get a really long steel bar as a wrench extender and be very careful

I finally got it, had to soak it in WD40 for about 2 hours, and I mean SOAK....but it's off and the new cassette is on...thanks for all the replies.

#10 ·
Grease

physasst said:
I finally got it, had to soak it in WD40 for about 2 hours, and I mean SOAK....but it's off and the new cassette is on...thanks for all the replies.
Can we assume that you greased the threads liberally when putting it back together? This is the cure for future removal issues. If you didn't grease it well, now might be the time to get some practice at cassette lockring removal and do the job right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.