Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a Trek 1500. It came with an Shimano HG50 12-25- 9 speed cassette.

I want to buy some new wheels and will need a new cassette to put on the new wheel. Is there a particular type I can or cannot use? Eg can I buy a Dura Ace or ultegra 9 speed? What are my options? And do I have to buy a 9 speed to replace it?

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Changes

jf7fsu said:
I ride a Trek 1500. It came with an Shimano HG50 12-25- 9 speed cassette.

I want to buy some new wheels and will need a new cassette to put on the new wheel. Is there a particular type I can or cannot use? Eg can I buy a Dura Ace or ultegra 9 speed? What are my options? And do I have to buy a 9 speed to replace it?
Actually, you could put your old cassette on the new wheel, and you might want to if there are signficant miles on the drivetrain, otherwise you might need a new chain too. Measure the chain to see if there's more than 1/16" of elongation in 24 links (12" original length). If so, you need to replace the chain anyway.

The number of cogs is determined by your shifters, so unless you want to also buy 10s shifters, you need to use 9s. You could use DA or Ultegra, but since DA has Ti cogs and therefore is very expensive and wears out quickly, why would you ever buy DA?

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to keep a cassette on the old wheels as a spare set. I want to put a compatible one on the new wheels or swap them. I'm just not sure if I should buy the exact same one or If I do something else?

· Does it matter?
760 Posts
jf7fsu said:
I would like to keep a cassette on the old wheels as a spare set. I want to put a compatible one on the new wheels or swap them. I'm just not sure if I should buy the exact same one or If I do something else?
you should get a 9 speed shimano cassette. I think the one you have is a 105 level cassette. I believe all the shimano 9 speed cassettes are compatible. I'd get another 105 level cassette or an ultegra. If you get the same 12-25 as you have, you already know what you're getting. Depends on how you're riding. If you need the 25 to get up hill then maybe you should stick with it. But the 12-25 is missing the 16 cog in the middle of the gears, and that is a nice gear to have. it's kind of a sweet spot. at 90 rpm's you're doing 24 MPH and i also the jump between the 15 and 17 is kind of abrupt. But again it depends on you. Pay a little attention next ride to your gear choices and consult the teeth number for your next cassette. Now if you want to be real hard core, get the 11-21. you'll have the 16, and you'll have the 11 for zooming down hills. But then hills are a pain. I'm kidding about the 11-21, considering this is the begginers section. I have one of those, but use it in the winter when I know I'm not going up a lot of hills.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.