Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
Whenever I see pictures like this I don't think they're real (I know they are). Saturn just looks so perfect. Almost without flaw, why is that?
 

·
Spicy Dumpling
Joined
·
9,721 Posts
SleeveleSS said:
Whenever I see pictures like this I don't think they're real (I know they are). Saturn just looks so perfect. Almost without flaw, why is that?
Photoshop.
 

·
the fist
Joined
·
13,711 Posts
In the article it speaks to the use of images created out of composites over time.

THe pictures are also color manipulted to allow or perspective, I believe. There are further manipulations to allow for images to appear more acceptable to the human eye or some such...

At any rate, the pixxors blew my mind when I looked at them last nght. Thanks for bringing it back, hooey.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
JohnHenry said:
In the article it speaks to the use of images created out of composites over time.

THe pictures are also color manipulted to allow or perspective, I believe. There are further manipulations to allow for images to appear more acceptable to the human eye or some such...

At any rate, the pixxors blew my mind when I looked at them last nght. Thanks for bringing it back, hooey.
Cheeeaaaapppppp!!!!!!! Get MB1 up there with a real camera ASAP. None of this composite manipulated image baloney.
 

·
Back from the dead
Joined
·
20,626 Posts
SleeveleSS said:
Whenever I see pictures like this I don't think they're real (I know they are). Saturn just looks so perfect. Almost without flaw, why is that?
Because often they are false color to bring out detail and highlight certain things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Because often they are false color to bring out detail and highlight certain things.
If all this is true, then "picture" seems to be a misnomer. Rendering might be better. If they have done all that to the image, and not even just one image at that, it seems about as much of a "picture" as the Mona Lisa.
 

·
Back from the dead
Joined
·
20,626 Posts
SleeveleSS said:
If all this is true, then "picture" seems to be a misnomer. Rendering might be better. If they have done all that to the image, and not even just one image at that, it seems about as much of a "picture" as the Mona Lisa.
The purpose of processing these images is not to present a false representation, but to reveal the features and behavior of the planet and its moons. The images are tools in a scientific quest. That they are nice to look at is a huge benefit.
 

·
Gruntled
Joined
·
3,737 Posts
SleeveleSS said:
Whenever I see pictures like this I don't think they're real (I know they are). Saturn just looks so perfect. Almost without flaw, why is that?
I think it's because of its size (many times larger than earth) and because it's mostly gas & liquid. Its own gravity pulls it into the shape of a sphere.
 

·
the fist
Joined
·
13,711 Posts
SleeveleSS said:
Cheeeaaaapppppp!!!!!!! Get MB1 up there with a real camera ASAP. None of this composite manipulated image baloney.
This is exactly what happens when a dslr is not used.
 

·
"El Bwana"
Joined
·
4,399 Posts
SleeveleSS said:
If all this is true, then "picture" seems to be a misnomer. Rendering might be better. If they have done all that to the image, and not even just one image at that, it seems about as much of a "picture" as the Mona Lisa.
I think the better term is "Images". The software (IDL) is pretty slick and made by a company out of Boulder. The same software is used on the Hubble images as well as big medical imaging equipment and on intel images as well. I have a friend who worked there and some of the things that can be done is amazing. Wanna do images of the sun's corona? Wanna find Iraqi tanks hidden under camouflage netting? Wanna build a 3-D model of a human skull from different imaging modalities?

www.ittvis.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
mohair_chair said:
The purpose of processing these images is not to present a false representation, but to reveal the features and behavior of the planet and its moons. The images are tools in a scientific quest. That they are nice to look at is a huge benefit.
I see what you are saying. I don't feel cheated or anything, it's just that when someone says this is a picture of Saturn, I think that the image is what it would look like if I were staring out the window of a space craft with my own eyes. Apparently this isn't the case. I can understand why they do it and all, but I just wonder what Saturn would actually look like to the naked eye (my idea of a "picture").
 

·
Back from the dead
Joined
·
20,626 Posts
SleeveleSS said:
I see what you are saying. I don't feel cheated or anything, it's just that when someone says this is a picture of Saturn, I think that the image is what it would look like if I were staring out the window of a space craft with my own eyes. Apparently this isn't the case. I can understand why they do it and all, but I just wonder what Saturn would actually look like to the naked eye (my idea of a "picture").
There are plenty of unaltered images out there.
 

·
Registered
Escorted from the White House
Joined
·
36,942 Posts
weltyed said:
nobody is concerned that about 1/4 of the planet and its rings have vanished?
That was me. I'll put 'em back tomorrah.
.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top