Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MB1 was the founder of this race which runs from near Castle Hospital in Kailua to Hanauma Bay. It is a 12 mile oneway time trial following a rolling course with two climbs. I rode the race and then rode back to the start and got my camera. BTW, I rode poorly. It was ungodly windy with 25mph gusts.

The pictures start with some nice views looking towards the starting area in Kailua. The race pretty much followed the Kalaniana'ole highway with a challenging section through the town of Waimanalo. Narrow streets that are more patched pavement and potholes than anything else.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
more

Continuing on, the course headed towards Makapuu past Sea Life park (50 first dates) and up over the pass. Once you crest the pass you pick up a tailwind. I maxed out at 49.3 mph on the descent. Motoring past Sandy Beach, you start the climb up to Hanauma Bay.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The final climb up to the finish really messes with you. The road follows the coastal lava fields and you don't know what you are getting until you get around the corner. Factor in the Japanese tourists that rent full size SUVs and the adrenaline stays flowing. At the toughest part of the final climb, I looked out at the ocean and saw a group of humpback whales. They were gone by the time I returned with the camera.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Looks like nothing has changed in 30 years.

OMG has it been that long?

BTW Bill, I really appreciate you taking and posting these pics.

BTW2 I also always sucked on that course, I flew the hills but the winds killed me on the flats.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts