Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is Road Bike forum but thought you folks might be willing to offer input anyway...I'm familar with sizing road bikes but have no clue about MTB or comfort bikes. I'm going to buy my daughter a bike to take to college and am looking at low end Treks and Giants (the two brands I can buy in town). So my question is what size frame should I be considering for a 5'4" female?

· You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
eyefly said:
I know this is Road Bike forum but thought you folks might be willing to offer input anyway...I'm familar with sizing road bikes but have no clue about MTB or comfort bikes. I'm going to buy my daughter a bike to take to college and am looking at low end Treks and Giants (the two brands I can buy in town). So my question is what size frame should I be considering for a 5'4" female?

Depends how she is going to use it. For someone who wants to really use an MTB on the trails, you'll want plenty of standover clearance (2 inches or more). But it sounds like this is more the "tool around town" kind of set up so that's going to be less of an issue. She'll be in the neighborhood of a 15-16 inch MTB frame, but you may want to look at the women's specific offerings because of the shorter reach (the Scott Contessa, maybe). For those sized XS, S, M, L, XL etc., I'd bet dollars to donuts she's a Small, but obviously get her on the thing and set up.

Main problem with too small an MTB or hybrid is the same as a road bike... you jack the seat way up to adjust for it and have too much saddle-to-bar drop. Too big an MTB will mostly leave her feeling too stretched out. My guess is that she'd like to sit fairly upright.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.