Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last couple of weeks I've noticed these little sesame seed-like things where my cats hang out. I pick them out of the blankets and such.

What are they, anyone know? Are the some sort of larvae waiting for springtime to burst forth and wreak havoc on my household? Are they alien pods waiting for a signal from home planet Umphalunk1612c to sprout forth and take over the earth?

No really, do I need to take the kitties in to the vet?

Here's a pic of one of the kitties checking it out. It's the three white dots to the left of the dime. It's the best pic I could get of the little buggers. Like I said, they look like sesame seeds.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
il sogno said:
The last couple of weeks I've noticed these little sesame seed-like things where my cats hang out. I pick them out of the blankets and such.

What are they, anyone know? Are the some sort of larvae waiting for springtime to burst forth and wreak havoc on my household? Are they alien pods waiting for a signal from home planet Umphalunk1612c to sprout forth and take over the earth?

Here's a pic of one of the kitties checking it out. It's the three white dots to the left of the dime. It's the best pic I could get of the little buggers. Like I said, they look like sesame seeds.
tofu dressing. :)

i'd guess worms, as posted, or a skin irritation. but i don't know from cats. doggies only, and i ain't seen it. etc etc.

good luck.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
tofu dressing. :)

i'd guess worms, as posted, or a skin irritation. but i don't know from cats. doggies only, and i ain't seen it. etc etc.

good luck.
My guess also is worms. If you euthanize the cat, the worms will go away. There may be other cures, but I haven't tried them.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
morrison said:
My guess also is worms. If you euthanize the cat, the worms will go away. There may be other cures, but I haven't tried them.
ouch!

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,668 Posts
morrison said:
That is the funniest thing I've read all day...

I don't know if I've said this before, but a guy I work with always says:
There is nothing in this world you can do to a cat that God won't forgive you for...

·
Super Moderator
19,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
morrison said:
Will an exorcism work? How about a leaching? ;)

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
morrison said:
[BAD [email protected]]

You can buy pills from a vet. IIRC only 1 is necessary to kill off the worms-and 1/2 a pill if the kitty is small.

Which is good since the pills costsomethin like $15 for a bottle of 3 :rolleyes:

·
I'm not like anyone else
1,796 Posts
Worms... see your vetfriend.

Along with my bakers dozen of doggies I had on the farm, I also had a bakers dozen of kitties plus one oppossum... Named "Oppossum Paul". He'd break bread with my kitties every night! Was way kool! Sorry... not about kitties.

Did the de-worming thing everytime I found them. Seemed to keep them healthy!

EDB

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Agree with everyone - well, except morrison :p . Sounds like tapeworms to me, call your vet.

·
Registered
425 Posts
il sogno said:

They are tapeworms ( Dipylidium caninum). They get them from eating fleas. There are only 2 really effective wormers - both from the vet. Droncit or Cestex. Droncit is the better one. It's dosed by weight; 0-4# = 1/2 tab, 5-11# = 1 tab, over 11# = 1 1/2 tab. Dose initially & repeat in 21 days + control fleas or they will return.

·
Super Moderator
19,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SHVentus said:
They are tapeworms ( Dipylidium caninum). They get them from eating fleas. There are only 2 really effective wormers - both from the vet. Droncit or Cestex. Droncit is the better one. It's dosed by weight; 0-4# = 1/2 tab, 5-11# = 1 tab, over 11# = 1 1/2 tab. Dose initially & repeat in 21 days + control fleas or they will return.
Do I need to de-tox the house? :(

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Do you have fleas hopping about? I've only had to "bomb" the house twice because of fleas, all the other times treating the pet did the trick.

·
Super Moderator
19,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
snapdragen said:
Do you have fleas hopping about? I've only had to "bomb" the house twice because of fleas, all the other times treating the pet did the trick.
I don't think we have fleas. It's the offseason and all. The kitties had fleas and worms last fall and we treated them. All seemed fine until now. :(

·
Registered
425 Posts
il sogno said:
Do I need to de-tox the house? :(
Fleas have 6 stages (Adults, eggs, 3 larval, and pupa), generally about a week between each stage, except between pupa & adult, which is about 2 weeks. Depends on temp & humidity. 70-80 deg & 70-80% hum is ideal flea conditions. Any organophosphate product, usually a combo of piperonyl butoxide & pyrethrins, will kill the adults (flea sprays, roach sprays, etc.). BIG HEADS UP though for cat owners; DON'T use any products on or around cats, that has the synthetic pyrethrin, permethrin in it. It is VERY toxic, & often to usually fatal, if applied to the cat.

Treat the cats once a month with either Advantage or Frontline (most cat owners report better results with Advantage, most dog owners with Frontline). Apply them in several (3-6) spots down the back, & rub each spot well into the skin. You can decrease the flea population faster if you treat the premises too. If you use a reg OP product, you will need to treat weekly for 6-8 weeks to break the lifecycle. If you use an OP that has Pre-Cor (methoprene), which prevents eggs from hatching, you will see results sooner.

·
Registered
425 Posts
il sogno said:
I don't think we have fleas. It's the offseason and all. The kitties had fleas and worms last fall and we treated them. All seemed fine until now. :(
They only have to eat 1 flea, that has the intermediate stages of the tapeworms, to get them. And eating a flea is the ONLY way for them to get Diplydium tapeworms. Fleas - they're around, trust me. Remove all pets & in 1-3 weeks you'll find them, when they are hungry & biting the humans. Fleas prefer cats & dogs, but in their absence, or if the flea population can't exist strictly on pet blood (too many of Da buggas), they "make do" with human blood.

·
Registered
425 Posts
il sogno said:
PS: Tapeworms are a segmented worm. What you are seeing are just the last segments that have broken off & been pooped out. When the worm shortens, you don't see segments (proglottids) in the stool. When the worm grows & lenthens, then you do. People often mistakenly assume they're gone when they haven't seen the "rice" or "sesame seeds" for a while, then one day, boom, they "appear" to be back, when in reality, they never left.

Well it's only 40 mins. untill "24". Will catch any other Q's tomorrow. Happy tapeworm & flea killing.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
SHVentus said:
Fleas have 6 stages (Adults, eggs, 3 larval, and pupa), generally about a week between each stage, except between pupa & adult, which is about 2 weeks. Depends on temp & humidity. 70-80 deg & 70-80% hum is ideal flea conditions. Any organophosphate product, usually a combo of piperonyl butoxide & pyrethrins, will kill the adults (flea sprays, roach sprays, etc.). BIG HEADS UP though for cat owners; DON'T use any products on or around cats, that has the synthetic pyrethrin, permethrin in it. It is VERY toxic, & often to usually fatal, if applied to the cat.

Treat the cats once a month with either Advantage or Frontline (most cat owners report better results with Advantage, most dog owners with Frontline). Apply them in several (3-6) spots down the back, & rub each spot well into the skin. You can decrease the flea population faster if you treat the premises too. If you use a reg OP product, you will need to treat weekly for 6-8 weeks to break the lifecycle. If you use an OP that has Pre-Cor (methoprene), which prevents eggs from hatching, you will see results sooner.
don't get frontline or advantage on your skin. wear rubber or non-latex gloves, and wash hands immediately after. i spent ~$1200 on one of my rescues (who was later put down :( ), and her first problem was fleas. one treatment of frontline stopped it pretty quick. i only threat them with a full shot between the upper shoulder blades, on the skin. don't bathe them for a few days after. read the instructions and go from there. etc.

good luck.

·
Super Moderator
19,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
haiku d'etat said:
don't get frontline or advantage on your skin. wear rubber or non-latex gloves, and wash hands immediately after. i spent ~$1200 on one of my rescues (who was later put down :( ), and her first problem was fleas. one treatment of frontline stopped it pretty quick. i only threat them with a full shot between the upper shoulder blades, on the skin. don't bathe them for a few days after. read the instructions and go from there. etc.

good luck.
Yeah, the stuff is pretty strong. I usually have the nurse at the vet's office do it for me. I'm calling them first thing tomorrow morning.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
il sogno said:
Yeah, the stuff is pretty strong. I usually have the nurse at the vet's office do it for me. I'm calling them first thing tomorrow morning.
sounds good. i always have problems applying that stuff and cutting nails. my shepherd's nails are all back and my other puppy's nails are mostly black with a few white ones mixed in. the white nails i can cut, but the black ones freak me out...

are you doing the heartworm treatments, too? the meat-flavored cubues ROCK.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.