Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To my disappointment, I wan't able to properly install my cat eye double wireless with cadence on my '10 Tarmac Expert. It appears that the chain stay on these bikes are too "thick" to make the set up work. No matter what I tried, the speed sensor portion would rub against the spokes. If I moved the sensor back to the rear of the chain stay, it doesn't rub, BUT then it'll be too far from the cranks to record the cadence! :(

Oh well. Just disappointed b/c won't have any cyclocomputer for my Sunday group ride. I just feel "lost" without one. Any one else run into this dilemma, or am I just not installing it correctly? Thanks.

·
Registered
438 Posts
thanks for the warning. was wondering if that might happen to a TCR. Guess I won't be getting the double wireless anymore

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sasquatch said:
thanks for the warning. was wondering if that might happen to a TCR. Guess I won't be getting the double wireless anymore
No problem. I guess this model of Cateye hasn't yet caught up to the times of thicker chain stays, b/c it seemed to set up fine on my older Spec M2 MTB with thinner chain stays (won't be using it on the MTB though). What model Giant TCR do you have?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Have you tried positioning the speed sensor above the chain stay? I recall seeing some having to set theirs up like that when I was researching my Double Wireless purchase.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
martinrjensen said:
you mean you can't rotate the sensor town to the bottom side of the chain stay? I can actually have a pretty decent gap and it still works.
I rotated the sensor so it's essentially touching the inner side of the chain stay, and still rubbing!?!? Again, I can only get enough clearance by moving the entire sensor unit to the more tapered section of the chain stay....but then again, too far from the crank.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
How about a picture?
Cni2i said:
I rotated the sensor so it's essentially touching the inner side of the chain stay, and still rubbing!?!? Again, I can only get enough clearance by moving the entire sensor unit to the more tapered section of the chain stay....but then again, too far from the crank.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@claror and frdfandc: You guys are right. I felt stupid not trying that. I guess I was just looking at the diagram included in the packaging.

Anyways, I did try it again after my Sunday ride. Speed accuracy seemed okay, but was giving me some inaccurate cadence readings....180 rpms (in my dreams) :eek: I've read other reviewers having similar issues with the cadence accuracy also. Will try her out a bit longer, but not sure I'll keep her or not.

As always, thanks for the input. :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts