Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a beautiful day for riding. Was out enjoying a nice good spring ride at a decent pace. I love cutting through the tight curves as I always do. With all the rain and runoff we've been having I never thought about road debris and gravel. Sure as a bear sh!ts in the woods you know it was bound to happen! I'm going sideways on the gravel heading for a ditch. I'm saying to myself MUTHA FUGGA! COG SUGGER! I'M GOING DOWN IN FLAMES! I don't know what happened or what I did as it happened so fast. I was able to correct myself with no fall or stopping. I know I'm good, but DAMN! Rating this stunt for skill or luck, I must say it was 110% luck I didn't go down. Still it was a great ride and no loss of skin so I'm happy!

·
Proud luddite
7,268 Posts
I was flying down a hill in a ritzy golf course community north of Tucson when all of the sudden a javelina (wild hog) bounds into the street just a few yards in front of me. I didn't have time to slow down, as I would have skidded and ended up crashing for sure, and yet I had time to go all Matrix....time stopped, I had the ability to think, "O.k. you stupid pig, I am about to run into you at 30 mph and probably kill you and at the very least injure me, so what are you going to do about that" and simultaneously I was able to look into the creature's eye and sense his thought process, which was, "O.k. you idiot human, these mother f'ing developers put a freakin' golf course in my natural domain, all I'm doing is looking for some tasty grass to nibble on, and yet you want to run me over with your fancy Italian bike! Oh, I'm so scared....you fool!" And someway, somehow, we missed each other. I went on to finish my ride and the javelina went on to find some grass, probably next to the 13th green where the rough is high and especially juicy, and neither of us perished. And at the end of the day, I reckon that javelina is a happier camper than I am. Word.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't mean to nit pick, but it looks the Pinarello owner was cross chaining. If I have learned anything on this site, it is that you NEVER cross chain and that chain is probably toast and should be replaced as soon as possible. Just to be sure replace the cassette also. Depending on funds its a good time to upgrade.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
So what was the result? Considering what happened to the little old lady who swallowed a fly, conventional wisdom would dictate that perhaps you would die.
He stopped before the horse, so he survived, of course.

·
wut?
507 Posts
Here is the anti story to the two stories above.

My buddy hit a cow at about 30 mph. He is fine but the bike is.....

View attachment 277021
Must be a Chinarello fake. The real ones are tested for bovine impacts. jk:D

Seriously though, a local guy a couple of years ago t-boned a moose at high speed. The moose fared far better than either the rider or his bike.

I was once almost taken out by a duck that tried to fly through my front wheel.:eek: It then proceeded past me an plowed into the side of a service van going the other direction. Musta had a death wish...

·
Registered
341 Posts
A few years back my wife hit a bear with out minivan.... Pretty sure the bear fared better than the car. I bet he looked around, growled a bit and ambled off into the woods. 2k in damage to the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.