Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I requested an upgrade from 4 to 3 from USAC that got approved on Monday of this week. The only reason I made the request is so that my wife and I could both race. In previous seasons, the Cat 4 35+ races for men and women would run at the same time, making kiddo duties difficult. I'm a mid pack 4 at best so it's not like I was sandbagging.

My local series (Seattle CX) decided to move the women's 4 race from 9:15 when the men 4's run to 10:15 meaning that we could now both race cat 4. I went to renew my license today and the only option available to me is Cat 3. Damn they work fast apparently. I don't have a problem racing with the 3's and had a 2010 goal of not getting lapped in any of these races. Problem #2 is with the scheduling changes, they've put the Cat 3 35+ race at 2:30 (last race of the day). This means that what used to only be a Sunday morning adventure, would now be all day with e 2 1/2 year old in the cold and rain that is PNW CX.

What to do, what to do? Do I explain my situation to my USAC rep and ask for a downgrade. That seems to be the most viable option, but I hate to put additional administrative burden on these folks and become 'that guy'.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Do the MFG series. :D Last season, they weren't quite as together as the SCX guys, but the courses were fun and the fields were competitive. You don't need a license, and it's self-seeding, so you can race with whichever group makes sense to you.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan to do those too and I love the flexibility they're offering regarding which classes to run, no license requirements etc. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Just race the 4's... If anyone gives you grief, just explain why you upgraded. Unless your placing and "taking" prizes, no one will care. Heck I'm sure the promoter would rather have you and your wife racing, instead of just one of you.

·
Registered
97 Posts
seppo17 said:
Just race the 4's... If anyone gives you grief, just explain why you upgraded. Unless your placing and "taking" prizes, no one will care.
Some (most?) promoters will not let you race 4 if your license says 3, in large part because they'd rather not even deal with the potential fallout of a 3 placing high/winning prizes in a 4 race. I imagine they have enough responsibilities/headaches already to feel the need to take on that "liability".

If nothing else you can always buy a one day license to race 4's until you get your annual license straightened out.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sent an email to my rep apologizing profusely and asking for a downgrade. We'll see what happens. Plan B is to buy 1 day licenses in the meantime. Luckily the 1st 3 weeks of racing don't require a license at all.

·
Registered
308 Posts
you should be racing the cat that your ability/level is, not what is the most best for your personal schedule. i know it can be hard to manage the family, but thats the way it is for all of us with familys. if you were good enough to get the upgrade to 3s, race the 3s

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The upgrade was approved based upon the QUANTITY of races I've done, NOT the results I achieved. If you read my original post, I'm a mid pack 4. Could I survive racing 3? Sure. Would 4 be ALOT more fun? Ummmm......YEAH.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.