Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine I race with just catted up to a 2. He was a 5 in Feb. The kid is insane. Should be on a pro team soon at this rate. He is only 18 and just pounds it. I have not talked to him for a month or so, but last I heard from another friend there are some domestic teams scouting him.

I was blown away how fast he moved up. He has either won or podium finished every race he has entered.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,009 Posts
I did that when I started. Then when I got to cat. 2 it was a whole new world. It took 18 months to get from 2 to 1 and the first few races as a 2 were horrendous. It took me at least another year after becoming a 1 to become a good 1.

Let's hope your guy learns fast, knows that there will be plenty of downs along the way, and doesn't burn out. If he does all of that and respects the sport and the guys that came before him, he has a great chance, especially in this climate which overly favours the U23's.

Some of these become legends but plenty don't. Regardless, these are always the fun stories in cycling.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I was a jr, I went from a 4 (didn't have 5s yet) to a 2 in a season.

This kid is just really strong. He placed right ahead of me at my first race of the yr (first race in 17 yrs...LOL ) It was a stage race. He is just super strong. He never sits in and just rides everyone off of his wheel.

Not only did he cat up this quick he did it in Southern Cali. Lots to be said about that.

I hope he continues to keep it rolling. He is a nice kid and has a lot of potential. I burned myself out at 18 and didn't ride again till last yr (I am 36 now). I am now having a blast and training, racing, winning and making more new friends than ever before. What a great sport!!!!.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,009 Posts
spinwax said:
When I was a jr, I went from a 4 (didn't have 5s yet) to a 2 in a season.

This kid is just really strong. He placed right ahead of me at my first race of the yr (first race in 17 yrs...LOL ) It was a stage race. He is just super strong. He never sits in and just rides everyone off of his wheel.

Not only did he cat up this quick he did it in Southern Cali. Lots to be said about that.

I hope he continues to keep it rolling. He is a nice kid and has a lot of potential. I burned myself out at 18 and didn't ride again till last yr (I am 36 now). I am now having a blast and training, racing, winning and making more new friends than ever before. What a great sport!!!!.

Big congrats to returning to the sport after so long. It's a lot harder than people realize. It is so hard sometimes because you remember how good you used to be but remember that it's important to have fun.

Most of the guys I know who did that did it in SoCal. On one hard, it's good hard racing but the other thing conducive to it is that there are so many races, particularly early in the season. He's upgrading at the right time, though because p/1/2 should be cooling off there right about now.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
yeah, what is that rule about age? a team only can have so many riders over thirty-something or something? or is it a percentage?
the theory is to encourage teams to bring young 'uns into the sport, but it ends up putting good guys out to pasture who are still plenty good.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bill said:
yeah, what is that rule about age? a team only can have so many riders over thirty-something or something? or is it a percentage?
the theory is to encourage teams to bring young 'uns into the sport, but it ends up putting good guys out to pasture who are still plenty good.
Let me rephrase... He will probably be on a U-23 team soon. I have already heard a major one is looking at him.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I don't know whether you really are responding to my post, but I'm talking about a real rule among US domestic pros. I don't remember the particulars, but there is a sliding scale or something where only so many riders can be over x age. You see teams dropping good riders over 35 because they have to.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bill said:
I don't know whether you really are responding to my post, but I'm talking about a real rule among US domestic pros. I don't remember the particulars, but there is a sliding scale or something where only so many riders can be over x age. You see teams dropping good riders over 35 because they have to.
Yes I was. :)

What I meant to say was, I am sure he will get on a major playing team, but probably not directly on the Pro level. He will probably ride as a U-23 member first.

You are correct about the age rule though.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
bill said:
I actually found a good layman explanation of the Continental age ruling on the USA Cycling site after a quick google:

http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=2516

So basically if you have a Conti team of 12 riders, then the majority have to be under the age of 28. So I guess that would mean 7 of the 12 as 6 of 12 is not a majority. This is why so many good riders over the age of 27 had a tough time finding a ride for 2008. I am thinking of some of the Toyota-United guys like Chris Wherry, Sean Sullivan, and Heath Blackgrove who are racing on effectively an amateur team in 2009, Hotel San Jose. Foreigners are also in a worse spot because the team also has to have a majority riders from the country it is registered in on the team. This also explains why Rock Racing had guys like Creed and Baldwin and Chadwick on the "amateur" team and a bunch of relatively unknown and American young riders on the Conti team.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,267 Posts
Eric_H said:
I actually found a good layman explanation of the Continental age ruling on the USA Cycling site after a quick google:

http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=2516

So basically if you have a Conti team of 12 riders, then the majority have to be under the age of 28. So I guess that would mean 7 of the 12 as 6 of 12 is not a majority. This is why so many good riders over the age of 27 had a tough time finding a ride for 2008. I am thinking of some of the Toyota-United guys like Chris Wherry, Sean Sullivan, and Heath Blackgrove who are racing on effectively an amateur team in 2009, Hotel San Jose. Foreigners are also in a worse spot because the team also has to have a majority riders from the country it is registered in on the team. This also explains why Rock Racing had guys like Creed and Baldwin and Chadwick on the "amateur" team and a bunch of relatively unknown and American young riders on the Conti team.
So now the question is...why is there an age rule like this?

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I think that the idea is to provide a program for developing young riders to lift American cycling rather than a haven for Euro riders on the downside of their careers. the rule is controversial. both sides of the equation have value -- think what Cipollini could have done for American cycling if he hadn't worked for someone crazier than he is.

·
Just one more switchback
237 Posts
bike handling

The problem I have noticed with some guys that have this type of ability is the they have no bike handling skills. There are a few locals guys that have moved up very fast and it is scary riding near them. There are also a few that can handle a bike like a seasoned pro although they have only been riding one year.

·
Registered
896 Posts
agree on the bike handling issue. some of these guys are truly genetically gifted, but quite often there is no substitute for race miles. there's a local guy south of me that moved up really fast and got a rep for taking people out in the sprints due to poor bike handling. maybe the rule should be you need 40 races before going to cat 2, or something like that

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
bauerb said:
agree on the bike handling issue. some of these guys are truly genetically gifted, but quite often there is no substitute for race miles. there's a local guy south of me that moved up really fast and got a rep for taking people out in the sprints due to poor bike handling. maybe the rule should be you need 40 races before going to cat 2, or something like that
That really surprises me. I'm a new Cat 5 and I was informed there was a 10 mass start minimum before even jumping to cat 4, not that I'm planning or counting on this any time soon. I know locally, there's an 18 year old dude who is blazin'! He lapped me once in a crit as if I were standing still. I had him in another crit because he wiped out.......:idea:

·
F1000SL
388 Posts
That rapid rise happens a lot if junior

because of the point structure, so they get the points(upgrade) really fast. But when you get to the 2 and 1 is a whole different world. I know of at least 8 juniors here in southern cal, that are 1 or 2 and are struguling, one basically gave up already.

But I guess one or two might make it.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
moab63 said:
because of the point structure, so they get the points(upgrade) really fast. But when you get to the 2 and 1 is a whole different world. I know of at least 8 juniors here in southern cal, that are 1 or 2 and are struguling, one basically gave up already.

But I guess one or two might make it.
I could see that being very frustrating. I remember the first time I rode with Cat 3 riders. I just remember struggling to hold their wheel for a while. During the first break, I finally asked in which category they raced. I was able to hang with them for about 50 some miles, then bonked harder than anything before.

·
Registered
896 Posts
i find that when I race with 1,2,3's in a 35+ race, what makes it hard are the constant attacks and surges. but, everytime I think I am about to die/quit things ease up. but when you're hanging off the back and got gapped, fighting your way back onto the train, it can be pretty miserable. I remind myself however that if I am hurting, so is everyone else. I find exactly the same thing in my Wed night team crit races. all cats race together. it is much harder then my own races, but sticking it out with these guys makes you stronger. BTW, I am a cat 4.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts