Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Does anyone know the conditions of the Catalina Hwy? I heard there was snow on Mt. Lemmon in March. Last year at this time I was able to ride past the ski area, up the service road, and just about to the actual summit. How far will I get when I ride there on April 14th?

Thanks for any help.

Eric

·
Registered
732 Posts
I haven't been to the top yet this year, but I believe all the snow is gone. You should be able to go to the top without any trouble other than all the hill climbing. The Catalina Highway leading up to Mount Lemmon is nice now as the shoulders (bike lanes) have been completed - named the Brad P Gorman Memorial Bikeway.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I went up to Geology Point (ca. mile 15) last week and rode with a guy who was going to the top. The road is dry but you may see some snow under the trees around Palisades but the road will be dry. You will definately be good to the ski area. I can see Lemmon from mt house as I type and it looks nice and sunny up there, no snow. Have a good ride!

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
I think by the 14th all of the snow will be gone. We're starting to flirt with the 90's in and around the city. I haven't been following the temps at Summerhaven, but I'm sure they've gone up enough to start killing off the white stuff at a spunky clip.

Idris, last month (or sometime in the last 2 mos) I was waitin' to pull onto Tangerine from Copper Spring Trail (just east of La Canada), when I spied an SUV whizzin' by with a Moots on top. Were that you?

·
Registered
21 Posts
As others have said, the road is definitely open. You may have to hop the gate to get past Ski Valley and up to the observatory (if you so choose).

alienator said:
Idris, last month (or sometime in the last 2 mos) I was waitin' to pull onto Tangerine from Copper Spring Trail (just east of La Canada), when I spied an SUV whizzin' by with a Moots on top. Were that you?
If it wasn't Idris, it could have been me. I live in that area. Gray 4Runner with this on top...

·
Registered
435 Posts
Wasn't me. Must have been falstaff. Theres also another couple of guys that I know around Oro Valley that have Moots bikes. That is five by my count (Falstaff isn't either of the two guys I know because your bike is new to me, but very nice by the way), we will soon be the dominant group and can then move for worldwide supremecy.
I did get a report of an Alienator sighting. A friend told me he saw a guy on a tricked out Moots in the Safeway plaza a couple of weeks ago. Still looking out for you myself. How's the pinkeye?

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
idris icabod said:
Wasn't me. Must have been falstaff. Theres also another couple of guys that I know around Oro Valley that have Moots bikes. That is five by my count (Falstaff isn't either of the two guys I know because your bike is new to me, but very nice by the way), we will soon be the dominant group and can then move for worldwide supremecy.
I did get a report of an Alienator sighting. A friend told me he saw a guy on a tricked out Moots in the Safeway plaza a couple of weeks ago. Still looking out for you myself. How's the pinkeye?

Whoever it was had a dark colored SUV (dark green?).

Safeway plaza? 'couple o' weeks ago I was in Fry's plaza w/ my daughter, at Baskin Robbins, getting her reward for her first 6 mile ride (she's eight.). Which Safeway?

The pinkeye is gone. Unfortunately because of the damned eye-thing, I wasn't able to get back on the bike until yesterday (Saturday). Over a week off the bike hurt.

I didn't know there were so many Moots around here. Other than the one on top of the SUV, the only one I've seen on the roads 'round here was the one under a comely girl in El Tour.

I don't know that my Moots is so tricked out, yet. Once Ligero's wheels get here and the Claviculas cross the Atlantic, well.....at least then it'll be where I want it to be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts