Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

categories and upgrade procedures

777 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Gripped 
#1 ·
I'm shocked that no one has posted this yet. This info has been on usacycling.org for a few weeks now

from usacycling.org:

New cyclo-cross categories

Some of you have noticed that your license now shows a cyclo-cross (CX) category that was not there before. In addition, if you look in your membership account, you might think you have purchased an extra license. Don’t worry: You have not.

Beginning with the 2006 season, all licensees have a CX category on their license. You will not see that information until you actually purchase the 2006 license, but the information is already there. This part is the first phase of a new system where CX is a separate category and upgrade points are awarded in CX events for that category.

If you are a new racer, then your CX category will start as a 4. Just as in road and track events, you can upgrade to a 3 by earning points in CX races.

If you had a 2005 USCF or NORBA license, then you were issued a 2006 CX category when you renewed. Here’s how the categories initially translated:

USCF Road Category
NORBA XC Category
2006 CX category

Beginner

Sport

Expert

Semi-Pro

Pro

If you had both a USCF license and a NORBA license in 2005, and your USCF road and NORBA XC categories would lead to two different CX categories, the higher of those two was used for your 2006 CX category. This change was made to acknowledge the tremendous growth and specialization in cyclo-cross, and the fact that road categories are often not indicative of CX ability. Given this possible discrepancy, if you feel that your USCF road or NORBA XC category did not translate correctly to your best CX category, you may request a category change online or directly through your upgrade administrator.

USCF Cyclocross Upgrades

Guidelines and Notes by Category:
4-3: Need 20 points in any 12-month period; or experience in 25 qualifying races with a minimum of 10 top-ten finishes. 30 points in 12 months is an automatic upgrade.
3-2: Need 25 points in any 12-month period.40 points in 12 months is an automatic upgrade.
2-1: Need 25 points in any 12-month period. 40 points in 12 months is an automatic upgrade.

Qualifying races for each category:

Category

Class
Duration
Field
Points Awarded

4-3
Men
Women
Junior
30 min
30 min
30 min
10-7-5-4-3-2-1
7-5-3-2-1
7-5-3-2-1

3-2
Men
Women
40 min
30 min
10-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
10-7-5-4-3-2-1

2-1
Men
Women
60 min
40 min
10-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
10-7-5-4-3-2-1

USA Cycling may add additional requirements for

See less See more
#2 ·
yeah I noticed

and I won enough points to earn myself an upgrade. gives ya a little feeling of accomplishment.
Now if they'd just have age group / Cat races I'd be stoked.
Heck I'd take Cat/ Clydesdale too! or age /cat/clydesdale

it ain't easy being big and old

#4 · (Edited)
jeremyb said:
is it true that this isnt applicable to Oregon Cx racing because they arent governed by USCF?

jeremy
USCF is just road racing within USA cycling.

OBRA's 2006 licensing info still has the A/B/C system in place for cyclocross. If you live and race in oregon but plan on doing USAC cyclocross just apply for the appropriate category when you get your USA cycling license.

#6 ·
jeremyb said:
is it true that this isnt applicable to Oregon Cx racing because they arent governed by USCF?
OBRA will probably go to the cat 1-4 system but it isn't in place for this year. OBRA works hard to maintain reciprocity with USCF but there is still debate as to whether to change or not.

If you are only going to race cross and are going to be moving to OR for the cross season, I hope you didn't spend money on a USCF license. If you did, you don't need to also buy an OBRA liscense this year. But you will want to next year since it's $20 as opposed to a lot more for USCF.

#7 ·
Mayb I'm a idiot, but where is the cross catagory for USCF licences? I see road and Norba but no cross. Am I missing something?

#10 ·
Gripped said:
OBRA will probably go to the cat 1-4 system but it isn't in place for this year. OBRA works hard to maintain reciprocity with USCF but there is still debate as to whether to change or not.

If you are only going to race cross and are going to be moving to OR for the cross season, I hope you didn't spend money on a USCF license. If you did, you don't need to also buy an OBRA liscense this year. But you will want to next year since it's $20 as opposed to a lot more for USCF.

ok cool, no i havent bought a 2006 license yet, cause im afraid of road racing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.