Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my usual routes has a couple traffic lights and intersections where I need to slow down and stop. Does my Cateye Strada Wireless average in these lower speeds when calculating the average trip speed?

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Are your wheels turning? If the answer is "yes", then it is.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
To clarify, when you are stopped, it isn't calculating. It is only when slowing and accelerating.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Kram said:
Are your wheels turning? If the answer is "yes", then it is.
Tempting. :D

·
Registered
838 Posts
The deceleration and acceleration of a stop can affect your average speed quite dramatically, depending on total distance and number of stops. But once you're stopped, your average speed does not depend on how long the stop is.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
of course it includes the slowing and accelerating...it's part of the "average", isn't it? if you went 25mph the whole time, your "average" would be constant...you get an average from variations in speed.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
For a short period - and until I bought a newer cyclecomputer for my Merlin - I used an old Cateye wireless. It was an early version that did not have the auto-stop & start feature. At rides's end, after clicking to the avg speed display, it made me feel like a total slug!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts