Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the Cateye Astrale, model CC-CD100, installed on my bike for close to a year now with absolutely no problems from day one. The cadence magnet is on the crank and the other one is on the rear wheel. Yesterday, 2.7 miles into my ride all the functions except for the cadence quit working. I stopped on the road to check it but found nothing wrong. The magnets on the rear wheel were lined up fine, giving off an audible beep everytime the magnet would pass the sensor. I checked everthing again more closely once I got home but still could find nothing wrong and still could not get the functions from the rear magnet to work. Then, this morning I check it again and everything is working fine with no adjustments. Any ideas what the problem may have been? Has anyone else had problems with the Astrale working intermittently?

It wasn't raining, wasn't below freezing temps, and the magnet/sensor was clean and tight. Is this one of those gremlin things that may not pop its head for another year?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Sounds to me like an intermittant contact from the rear wheel sensor. I'd try cleaning the head mount contacts and take a careful look at the wire to the rear wheel, but this kind of problem can drive you crazy. A new wire harness may be in your future.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I occasionaly have the same problem

007webgod said:
I've had the Cateye Astrale, model CC-CD100, installed on my bike for close to a year now with absolutely no problems from day one. The cadence magnet is on the crank and the other one is on the rear wheel. Yesterday, 2.7 miles into my ride all the functions except for the cadence quit working. I stopped on the road to check it but found nothing wrong. The magnets on the rear wheel were lined up fine, giving off an audible beep everytime the magnet would pass the sensor. I checked everthing again more closely once I got home but still could find nothing wrong and still could not get the functions from the rear magnet to work. Then, this morning I check it again and everything is working fine with no adjustments. Any ideas what the problem may have been? Has anyone else had problems with the Astrale working intermittently?

It wasn't raining, wasn't below freezing temps, and the magnet/sensor was clean and tight. Is this one of those gremlin things that may not pop its head for another year?
It won't work and then magicly starts during the ride only to stop another day. I found that the computer was slightly loose and "popping it back in" fixed it. When it stops I just give it a jiggle and it usually starts back up. I use the same computer with different mounts on three bikes. I just figured it was from pulling it off and on so ofton. Maybe not.

Also, as another poster said take a look at the contact points. They may have become corroded.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I have the same problem every few months. The contacts don't appear to be corroded but the problem is fixed by wiping them with a dry cloth.

·
ready for retirement
68 Posts
clean contacts with pencil eraser

I don't remember where I read this years ago, but I tried it and it works also. Probably no different from cleaning with a cloth, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts