Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tarmac and I just bought a Cateye double wireless cyclocomputer. I am having issues with its positioning my chainstay. My chainstay bends to close to the spokes leaving very little room for the spokes to clear the speed and cadence sensor. I have it rigged to where it fits but it is very close to being hit with the spokes and/or my crank. If I move the sensor back to near the drop out it will fit but I lose my cadence sensor capability and that is the reason I got this. Does anyone have an experience with this and/or remedies.

·
Registered
201 Posts
great pute, but they don't work as intended at all on Specialized chain stays. Set up the cadence sensor, then swing the wheel sensor so it's facing UP(yes, it looks a little funny). You'll get the same in-out adjustability, but be far enough away to not hit spokes. Make sure you tighten the hell out ofthe zip ties as there will be little support from the stay in this position.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got mine to work, although it is really close to hitting the sensor on the spokes. I know of others with tarmacs that have to place the wheel sensor up as the previous posts show.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Think Italian

Tarmacjack said:
...If I move the sensor back to near the drop out it will fit but I lose my cadence sensor capability...
Get yourself a button magnet and glue/silicone it to the inside of your pedal axle. This will move the cadence farther back and results in a lean, elegant cadence magnet placement. This is how the cadence magnets are mounted for the Campagnolo Ergobrain.

If you have an allen wrench hole in your pedal you can get rare earth magnets at Radio Shack. Glue about two or three of these small magenets together and insert inside the hole in the axle.

·
Poseur
1,408 Posts
Keeping up with Junior said:
If you have an allen wrench hole in your pedal you can get rare earth magnets at Radio Shack. Glue about two or three of these small magenets together and insert inside the hole in the axle.
Unless of course you have pedals with no wrench flats, like Egg Beaters.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Wrenching

GerryR said:
Unless of course you have pedals with no wrench flats, like Egg Beaters.
Still works so long as you are not frequently wrenching on your pedals. Farely easy to pry away a button magnet as long as you dont overdue it on the glue. And if you are going to insert the small magnets inside the hole just make sure you glue them together first and have enough sticking out to grab it with needle nose pliers.

Worked just fine for my wife this summer when she put her Egg Beaters on her road bike for a summer tour.

·
Milk was a bad choice.
1,338 Posts
depending on your pedal spindle material, you may not even need to glue the magnet. The magnet on my stainless Speedplay spindles stays there without any glue or anything, so that may be an option.

·
Registered
113 Posts
See if the maganet will still registar turned inward towards the center of the wheel. I've done this with a front wheel with fork clearance problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kinzo24 said:
I got mine to work, although it is really close to hitting the sensor on the spokes. I know of others with tarmacs that have to place the wheel sensor up as the previous posts show.
This is exactly how mine is now. It works fine, but I have a feeling one day it's gonna get caught in the spokes. Ill try flipping the sensor up.

Cool thanks guys.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
If you try fastening a button magnet try gluing it on with Shoe Goo. It works like a charm, won't come off it ANY kind of weather conditions, yet it can easily be removed with Goo Gone whenever you want.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts