Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
So some wacky stuff in regards to powereters. 4iii has gone under a licensing agreement with cateye.
Cateye introduces new power meter?well?sort of. | DC Rainmaker

Is this an odd move for the powermeter industry?

Will it introduce more riders to powermeters?

Would you buy a re-branded powermeter?
Might be playing to brand recognition and/or better access to distribution.

Price and wider use by not-so-early adopters are what seem to draw in newer users (myself included).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Is Cateye even relevant any more considering the advances in bike computer tech?
They make some sweet lights. Their newest tail light has an accelerometer in it and gets brighter as you brake.

And by "advances" I hope you don't mean Garmin...they put out the worst POS GPS computers, but they own the market.

·
Registered
710 Posts
It's likely an attempt by two companies to access markets--one geographic and one product-based that they've both had trouble cracking.

Cateye via their lights and old school computers has good distribution in the US. 4iii doesn't. Cateye doesn't have much in the way of anything other than lights and old school computers. They haven't gotten much traction with GPS and don't seem to have the ability to bring their own power meter to market so partnering with 4iii gives them something.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I guess I was one of those suckers that fell for the CatEye brand GPS. I have owned several CatEye computers in the past: the Mity 8, the Strada Wireless Cadence and the Strada Slim. Logically I went for a CatEye Stealth Evo since it was on clearance at REI for $70. I do prefer it over a Garmin since it has an odometer function compared to the lower end Garmins (unless I am mistaken). But it takes 3-5 seconds to register I have stopped so it screws up my timing. Their syncing software also leaves quite a bit to be desired.

Might try a Lezyne or a Wahoo next.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I guess I was one of those suckers that fell for the CatEye brand GPS. I have owned several CatEye computers in the past: the Mity 8, the Strada Wireless Cadence and the Strada Slim. Logically I went for a CatEye Stealth Evo since it was on clearance at REI for $70. I do prefer it over a Garmin since it has an odometer function compared to the lower end Garmins (unless I am mistaken). But it takes 3-5 seconds to register I have stopped so it screws up my timing. Their syncing software also leaves quite a bit to be desired.

Might try a Lezyne or a Wahoo next.
You anti-garmin? My 500 has worked flawlessly for years.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Aruyt in the boating world I dislike garmin. Clunky interfaces as compared to the simrad I love. But in biking I find the edge 25 coupled with cadence, heart and garmin connect to be an awesome setup. It certainly isn't perfect but not so imperfect that I feel a need to switch brands.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
They make some sweet lights. Their newest tail light has an accelerometer in it and gets brighter as you brake.

And by "advances" I hope you don't mean Garmin...they put out the worst POS GPS computers, but they own the market.
My Garmins have been just fine. Wireless downloads get wonky sometimes, I have to unpair and re-pair the unit and my phone occasionally, but overall performance has been solid. I think the tech in my 510 is a little more advanced than a taillight that gets brighter when you slow down.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
agreed, don't want to be a fanboy, but i've got 5 garmins in the house and they all were pretty well. they have the odd moment, but 99% of the time fine and are easy to use. I go out for a ride or a run get home sit down open the laptop and my run/ride is already uploaded and ready to "analyse".

Perfect, no but far from POS.

·
Registered
396 Posts
You anti-garmin? My 500 has worked flawlessly for years.
Not anti-Garmin, just nothing that really met my needs in my price range. I wanted to get the 25, but it lacks an odometer and doesn't do anything my MotoACTV does not do (GPS route tracking and ANT+ connectivity). I've considered the 510 and 520 but don't need the navigation.

Basically wanted something with a BW screen, bike computer functionality with GPS tracking and ANT+ or bluetooth connectivity and a sub $200 price tag. No need for color screen, real time Stra- Ego segments, navigation, wifi connectivity.

·
Registered
249 Posts
no odometer? i look at garmin connect and see my mileage for any period of time. 1 week, last 4 weeks, year, etc.

what's more you can tell it which bike you're on for a ride so i would think you might even be able to keep separate odo's for separate bikes.

AND it can oh so easily be switched from bike to bike.

i bought it because i wanted small size, simple form and ant+ for HRM and cadence. it is perfectly designed for that. it fits your stated needs to a T.

·
Registered
249 Posts
not only that i can import gpx files and get turn notifications and 'off course' notifications for new places. i love that function as i really enjoy cycling in new areas and doing organized rides which sometimes have poor signage.

for about $200 including sensors i can go for a ride and within a few moments of arriving home be looking at heart rate, cadence, speed and elevation for the entire ride. in time the data starts to mean something. i get to see how long it took for my heart rate to recover from a hill or interval. i get to see just how fast i managed to get on that downhill where i was afraid to look down and check at the time, i get to see how badly the heat affected me and if i ran out of gas i can see how the metrics look when it happens thus cluing me in to adjustments needed in my training, prep or feeding.

it is a stunning amount of data in a very nicely designed package for a silly cheap price.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
All moot points by February 2017 when Shimano has their OEM unit as part of the Dura Ace crank. These little power meter companies are going to dry up, as why would anyone use a hacked-up second party unit versus an OEM unit with ten years development time.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
That's probably a little dramatic.

They will surely take some sales away from the high end crank based market, but the price point of a dura-ace crank with a power meter is way up there compared to the lower end single sided solutions like stages and Garmin.

Also, not everyone runs shimnano drive trains.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
All moot points by February 2017 when Shimano has their OEM unit as part of the Dura Ace crank. These little power meter companies are going to dry up, as why would anyone use a hacked-up second party unit versus an OEM unit with ten years development time.
Ten years development time with no real world usage?

Who uses a Shimano powermeter?

And I think most anyone who follows this particular industry knows that the first release of a powermeter is usually one to stay away from.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts