Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello to all!!!

It's me again; Newbie Jarhead Joe!! I rode for the second time today about 30 miles. I say about because my Cat's Eye computer is working intermittently and I think when it does read it's way off. (Says Cadence is 70s even when I am barely pedaling) The computer came on the Trek 1100 I bought from my accountant so it's probably pretty old.

I messed with the sensors; moving them forward, backward, closer together / apart and the speed would work for a minute then stop. I've posted a few pictures because I thought they might help figure this out.

Suggestions on how to fix this would be great.

A fellow rider stopped and messed with it today and said "buy wireless, this is a pain!!"

Also, I stopped about 5 times today to make tiny adjustments to the seat, bars height, but still putting lots of pressure on my hands; ride was semi-comfortable though.
I need to do a ton of research here on proper position while riding so I know how to adjust my own bike. Paying to have it done is ok, but I would rather learn how myself.

You are all so appreciated!!! I have avoided many little beginners mistakes because of the experience here in this forum.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
g8keyper said:
Hello to all!!!

It's me again; Newbie Jarhead Joe!! I rode for the second time today about 30 miles. I say about because my Cat's Eye computer is working intermittently and I think when it does read it's way off. (Says Cadence is 70s even when I am barely pedaling) The computer came on the Trek 1100 I bought from my accountant so it's probably pretty old.

I messed with the sensors; moving them forward, backward, closer together / apart and the speed would work for a minute then stop. I've posted a few pictures because I thought they might help figure this out.

Suggestions on how to fix this would be great.

A fellow rider stopped and messed with it today and said "buy wireless, this is a pain!!"

Also, I stopped about 5 times today to make tiny adjustments to the seat, bars height, but still putting lots of pressure on my hands; ride was semi-comfortable though.
I need to do a ton of research here on proper position while riding so I know how to adjust my own bike. Paying to have it done is ok, but I would rather learn how myself.

You are all so appreciated!!! I have avoided many little beginners mistakes because of the experience here in this forum.
A couple of thoughts. It's hard to judge from the pics, but the distance between magnets and sensors is very small, about 2-3 mm's if I remember correctly. I have mine set up where they're just barely NOT touching. Also, it looks like the cadence magnet (on the crank arm) should move towards the pedal a bit so that it's centered more with the sensor.

At the computer itself, it's a good idea to remove it (there's a clip at the rear that you need to push down while sliding the head towards the front of the bike). Once removed, clean the metal pick ups (I think there are three) on the rear of the head and their mates on the holder itself. Alcohol and a paper towel or clean rag will do the trick. Make sure when you reinstall the head that you hear a click signaling that it's seated correctly.

Try that and see how it goes.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PJ352,

You were right on the money; moved the sensors to the point they almost touch and it works now. I cleaned the contacts and found a battery (thought this thing worked off the energy created by the bike ... eeek, guess not!!) so I am replacing the battery as well.

Again you all saved me from going out and spending money as I thought a new computer was in order.

Hard time keeping the sensors so close together ... used some zip ties in a X pattern so hope that helps. It probably added a few hundreths of an an ounce so that will slow me down some too LOL ... just kidding ... I envy those super fly bikes you guys have; wish I had the cash for that.

Cheers!!!!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
A dab of poster putty or a little piece of old tube under the sensors and cadence magnet before zip-tying them in place works wonders. That said, I still check them all before heading out for a ride.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
3 rides now with my Mavic Computer the past week; it's working awesome. I am really enjoying having data in front of me now. No wires and easy to use.

Only wished I had bought the unit that has Heart Rate as well. May try to return this unit or sell it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.