Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody.:)
I'd like to do some riding in the Catskills soon.I was wondering if anybody had a nice route they know of.
I'd like to do some climbing.
Also, if there are bike clubs that ride up there.
Appreciate any info.
Be safe:thumbsup:

·
Registered
167 Posts
near what towns in the Catskills? (the Catskills are kind of a large area)

I think actually the climbs and riding in and around the Shawangunk mountains are prettier. I mention that because the "Gunks" are near the Catskills and lots of people don't know the difference, and think the Gunks are part of the Catskills -- so they might be what you're looking for.

What sort of climbs or what length routes are you looking for? If you don't know how to describe climbs in terms of numbers for vertical size and steepness grade, might be better to name what climbs (with road names, town names) you've done before and liked.

Ken

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I should of been more specific.
I'm only familiar with the Hunter Mt ,Phoenicia area.Rt 28,RT 55.Rt23
It's been years since I've been up there, I live in the Bronx.I'm open to any suggestions.I don't know where the good routes are.
I guess nothing too crazy steep,I'm running an 11-23 Double.
I'd like to do, say 50 to 80 mile rides.
Only real climbs I've done we're out in Tucson,Ariz.Mt Lemmon,Gates Pass etc..
I ride in Westchester and Putnam Valley a lot.
Thanks buddy!:)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Shaggybx said:
I'm only familiar with the Hunter Mt ,Phoenicia area. I live in the Bronx.I'm open to any suggestions.I don't know where the good routes are.
I guess nothing too crazy steep,I'm running an 11-23 Double.
I'd like to do, say 50 to 80 mile rides.
I think the Ashokan Reservoir is about the prettiest place in the Catskills, so you might consider trying this route going around the reservoir. To make it longer, you could extend it to Phoenicia, and some people like to ride to Woodland Valley (but I never have).

For an introduction to serious Catskill climbs, you could try a loop over Meads Mountain Rd, starting north from the village of Woodstock, then continuing north over the top of the pass and making a loop to the west. If Meads Mt Rd is more steep than you're looking for, can just go back down to the village.

Another way to consider extending that route might be to ride from the Ashokan Reservoir to (and over) the Shawangunk ridge and back -- like this route (starting in the middle of the cue sheet).
My problem with lots of the roads in the Catskills is that most of what you see is just trees. I have nothing against trees, but after the 24,731st tree on the same day I'm hoping for more of something else.​
Ken

·
Registered
126 Posts
I live a couple of miles from the ashokan rez, and he's right. My morning spin is heavenly. There is an excellent no drop group ride that leaves woodstock every thurday eve around 6 pm. That would be a good way to get aquainted with the local goods. They usually do around 40-45 miles, and they everything from relatively fit novices to cat 1's leading out and sweeping up. The local shop in woodstock is overlook mountain bikes, but they ride the road as well, and they will help you out with info (845 679 2122). I just did a 75 mile hill hunter loop from the rez to woodstock on wed. we got some nasty little bumps up here:D . Also check out this site for ride loops and descriptions...

http://www.roberts-1.com/bikehudson/r/m/climbs/index.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.