Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While dropping my 04 Giant OCR Elite off for BB service...the local friendly shop owner offered me 20% off of a 2012 Pinarello Rokh which seems to fit exactly how/what I ride.

I understand that this would be a big jump in price, ride, geometry, etc. from my current bike.

My question is: I've found (internet research) that the wheels are the weakest part of the Rokh build, but I have some Easton EA50's on my current bike I could switch over...would those be an upgrade/downgrade/lateral move from the Fulcrum Racing 5's that come on the Rokh?

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
While dropping my 04 Giant OCR Elite off for BB service...the local friendly shop owner offered me 20% off of a 2012 Pinarello Rokh which seems to fit exactly how/what I ride.

I understand that this would be a big jump in price, ride, geometry, etc. from my current bike.

My question is: I've found (internet research) that the wheels are the weakest part of the Rokh build, but I have some Easton EA50's on my current bike I could switch over...would those be an upgrade/downgrade/lateral move from the Fulcrum Racing 5's that come on the Rokh?Thanks.
In a word: No.

That aside, if you want a new/better bike, great. But keep in mind that 99% of what makes one bike better than the next is that it's suited for your riding style and body measurments. Handling too.
For example the best bike in the Tour de France wouldn't be a 'better' bike for a non-flexible person who's prefered ride is something like a long charity ride.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I currently have the Fulcrum Racing 6 (specialized OEM). They are R7 hubs and a R5 rim I believe...

They are ok I guess. The fit and finish is a bit rough, there is a seam where the manufactured the wheels that scrubs on the brake pads. The the rear hub sounds "strange"...more of a buzz than a click.

Knowing little of the EA50, I can't tell you if it's a +, =, or - type of switch off...I really don't know.

All I know is I replaced the Fulcrums with ROL Race SL this week...don't have everything setup yet...but that will soon change.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
the 5's are meant to be good, easton 50, and i am a big fan of easton i have them on both aluminum bikes easton 70 and 90 sl, easton 50 is pretty much an entry level/intermediate wheelset, at least for easton. dont get me wrong, it beats the syhitte out the wheels most bikes use at the "entry" point, which is the main reason why they dont get used more often in those spots.they're too good, even if they only a bit more expensive, that's whey they tend to get used on higher end bikes as a base wheelset....

in the end, you get what you pay for. for the pinarello, those wheels on that frame = high end, race level performance. i had a similar experience when i came across my bmc road racer, i.e. this is a lot of bread to pay for a new ride, do i really need this. but the bmc would have been my first carbon roadie. and the road racer is a rocket, even looks like a spaceship, mon. this is a great price i may never see again for this level of performance. the wheels arent the best, but i can always upgrade later (maybe even switch out the 90 sl's from my felt to the bmc). should i do it should i do it should i do it???

in the end, its not all about the wheels, especially not in this case, fulcrum 5 is good. t its about the bread, and making the jump. that frame is nice, mon. dealer dood sounds like a good guy, he wants the 012 gone so he can think 013 already. dude he wants to sell you that bike. 20 percent could be a bit more, that bike is discounted additional on line. whatever. ask for tune ups, get the best deal you can. if its range, pull the trigger. if not

tuna and ramen really arent so bad after all.....i say, yes, absoutely. pull the trigger, you'll be glad you did...

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Pinarello is one of those brands that is legendary. I hope to own one some day. Saying that, I would go for the Pinarello. I love my wheels and yes that becomes a real question. I would keep riding the wheels that I own and use them. It's evident that new bicycles don't come with very good wheels.

Here's the bottom line. Take the Pina out for a ride and judge for yourself. Don't worry about what the differences are. Do you like the Pina? Then buy it. But if you do... post some pics.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Pinarello is one of those brands that is legendary. I hope to own one some day. Saying that, I would go for the Pinarello. I love my wheels and yes that becomes a real question. I would keep riding the wheels that I own and use them. It's evident that new bicycles don't come with very good wheels.

Here's the bottom line. Take the Pina out for a ride and judge for yourself. Don't worry about what the differences are. Do you like the Pina? Then buy it. But if you do... post some pics.
Why is it most bikes come with mediocre wheels and tires comparing to the build? I've always wondered that.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Why is it most bikes come with mediocre wheels and tires comparing to the build? I've always wondered that.
So you'll spend more money later to upgrade.Len

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Wheels and tires are an area where a manufacturer can skimp to keep the price of the bicycle low. It's usually accepted that you will get a flat on your first ride with the new bike and the wheels will come out of true pretty quick.

·
Registered
756 Posts
My question is: I've found (internet research) that the wheels are the weakest part of the Rokh build, but I have some Easton EA50's on my current bike I could switch over...would those be an upgrade/downgrade/lateral move from the Fulcrum Racing 5's that come on the Rokh?
Just keep the Fulcrum Racing 5 on the Pina... They are similar weight and quality to the Easton EA50. I am riding Easton EA90 Aero, Easton EC90SL, and Fulcrum Racing Zero wheelsets and the Fulcrum wheels seem to spin up the fastest, not scientific, just a feeling when I ride them. Could be the Fulcrum hubs are nicer?

For wheels that are similar quality, I'd definitely keep the newer ones on the newer bike especially if you have an older wheelset that may need servicing.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I test rode the Rokh when I bought my Wilier Gran Turismo. I really liked the Rokh - smoother than my Wilier. Probably the smoothest bike I have ever ridden and super comfortable. Not the lightest bike though. 1 pound heavier than my Wilier - both were Ultegra builds with Fulcrum Racing 5 wheels. I ended up with the Wilier because it felt racier but almost as smooth...thought it was a better compromise between racy and comfort.

I pulled the Fulcrums off it as soon as I got home and sold them for about $300 with tubes, tires, and cassette still on them. As far as quality, I think they are a touch better quality wheel than the EA50's, but probably a bit less aero because they are shallower. Both are about the same weight.

Either set of wheels are fine. You'll be itching to upgrade the wheels to meet the quality of the bike soon anyway. I could picture some HED Belgium C2's on the Rokh.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.