Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm doing my usual ride and about 20 minutes in and a car with a bunch of f*cking morons decides to yell at me (all at once) as they are passing me. I flinched a little, but who wouldn't? Mind you, I'm on the right side of the road, doing nothing wrong. What would you do next? Would you just let them go or would you "do something"?

I felt that they gave me the right to express myself and how I felt, so I gave them the bird. If I pulled up next to them (which I was looking forward to), I would also have a couple words for them. I felt as if I had the right to do what I did. Would you do the samething?

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Around here, it doesn't pay to antagonize people. My reaction is always the same now--it's easier on my brain, and only the craziest person would really take offense.

When someone yells at me, assuming they're going in the same direction, I sit up a little, give them my biggest sh*t-eating grin, and a big thumbs-up. Sometimes I even nod insanely.

The way I see it, I'm mocking them with their "advice" to me, whatever it was, and they'll either see it that way, but pass it off because it's pretty gentle, or they won't think much of it.

If they cut me a little close, but don't yell, I try to look eye-to-eye with the driver's mirror and shake my head as though mystified at their stupidity, selfishness and/or carelessness.

Either way, I took a little action, and I feel better, without creating a problem.

I never chase (it's like a dog--what would they do with a car if they caught it?), never flip the bird (anymore), and I don't yell back. I'm only doing it for myself anyway--I'm sure 99% of those who offend me automotively on the road never even realize their dicketry and don't even bother to look back--and I'm satisfied with quiet mockery.

·
170 Posts
Turn the other cheek, I guess...

I was yelled at by a random BMW as it drove by. I figured it was moron from the base I'm stationed at (just a few miles away from the incident).

I was resigned to let it go--what could I do about it--when a mile down the road there was a massive traffic back-up. So I roll up to the BMW and wave at the guy. He rolls down the window, and we start talking...turns out to be a british guy, and quite the likeable one if you forget his previous rudeness. We end up joking around as he waits in traffic.

I guess the point is, they're not all malicious. Just a bit ignorant.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The last person that yelled at me, I flipped off. He also honked and swerved. As I rounded the corner, he had parked in someone's yard and ran out in the street to fight me. As I was in road shoes (oh yeah, and don't like to fight) I evaded and sprinted past. Ducked through a neighborhood to lose him. Scared the crap out of me.

I guess just be careful. If you respond, be prepared for them to do the same on whatever level.

·
Non non normal
10,092 Posts
I'm with Bikeboy. When the goal is to seek a negative reaction give them a positive one. It won't give them any encouragement to do it again. If everyone did this sooner or later whatever thrill they are trying to get will never happen and they will probably just give up. There will always be idiots everywhere in life.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
I think it's a situation by situation call, you know?

Hate to stereotype, but I do analyse the threat level a bit before deciding on a response. When it's Mister NRA-stickered '69 pickup, I tend to let it go...

Last week, a young lady shouted "Get on the sidewalk!" and pointed out the window as she swerved around me. I sprinted up, caught her at the stop light, went over to her driver's window, and yelled something like "what the hell do you think you're trying to do? How many kids do you want me to run down on the sidewalk? Get a fvcking clue, moron."

Sure, I could've been a super-pacifist and ignored it, but, I guess I'm just not that ... restrained.

Hopefully she'll THINK a bit more before pulling idiot moves like that.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
bmph8ter said:
The last person that yelled at me, I flipped off. He also honked and swerved. As I rounded the corner, he had parked in someone's yard and ran out in the street to fight me. As I was in road shoes (oh yeah, and don't like to fight) I evaded and sprinted past. Ducked through a neighborhood to lose him. Scared the crap out of me.

I guess just be careful. If you respond, be prepared for them to do the same on whatever level.
FYI, you may have been less scared with a Keltec .380 in your jersey pocket :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Had that happen once too...Pulled up alongside the lady and calmly explained to her that we aren't allowed on the sidewalk and that is actually much safer for us to be on the road because of the speed that we travel with...Got and "oh really" then a "guess you're right"....

·
Registered
841 Posts
I'm human too. I've reacted in the past. And I suppose I can think of a non-zero number of times that I've overreacted. The thing is: there's really just about no point to it. I find that a colorful reaction is rarely cathartic--it just gets me further riled up. It's not as if flipping idiots the bird provides them an education or reforms their character (or is necessarily even seen as negative feedback). And once in a great while, in the wrong place, at the wrong time, you can antagonize somebody who is just nuts (and who is driving a big heavy steel box with an engine in it, even if they don't have a gun inside).

It seems to me that the smart thing to do is to ride safe and ride on. Protect yourself and ignore the idjits. I'm an imperfect follower of my own advice, but that's what I try to do and that's what I often manage.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
I've had too many close calls, so i almost never flip the bird, at least when i'm out of town.

WHAT I DO DO is wave, with a big sh!t eating grin. Usually that confuses them, and pisses them off even more, but they don't do anything, because of the confusion ;)

Caveat - when i'm in town, i flip the bird, and shout whatever i'm thinking. They'll never catch me in town. That said, i did have a car chase me once, on my city bike. The driver was so focused on me, he ended up hitting a traffic island pillar head on. It was a beautiful moment, him in a state of rage as his front bumper was totaled (bare in mind he was trying to run me down) and i gave him a wave, and a big smile, and shouted BYE BYE :D

UNF_Chaz said:
So I'm doing my usual ride and about 20 minutes in a car with a bunch of f*cking morons decides to yell at me (all at once) as they are passing me. I flinched a little, but who wouldn't? Mind you, I'm on the right side of the road, doing nothing wrong. What would you do next? Would you just let them go or would you "do something"?

I felt that they gave me the right to express myself and how I felt, so I gave them the bird. If I pulled up next to them (which I was looking forward to), I would also have a couple words for them. I felt as if I had the right to do what I did. Would you do the samething?

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
djg said:
I'm human too. I've reacted in the past. And I suppose I can think of a non-zero number of times that I've overreacted. The thing is: there's really just about no point to it. I find that a colorful reaction is rarely cathartic--it just gets me further riled up. It's not as if flipping idiots the bird provides them an education or reforms their character (or is necessarily even seen as negative feedback). And once in a great while, in the wrong place, at the wrong time, you can antagonize somebody who is just nuts (and who is driving a big heavy steel box with an engine in it, even if they don't have a gun inside).

It seems to me that the smart thing to do is to ride safe and ride on. Protect yourself and ignore the idjits. I'm an imperfect follower of my own advice, but that's what I try to do and that's what I often manage.

Well said.

These folks are the (chronologically) adult version of schoolyard bullies, and the only thing they get out of it is our reaction. Best way to keep these situations from happening in the future is to not give them what they want from the interaction. And we're not going to get the better of them by sinking to thier level. Ride on.

Every once in a while I talk back, too. It's amazing what you can get away with if you say it with a smile on your face.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I do "the stare" when i get buzzed or antagonized. Just really gaze in that rear view mirror. If you happen to stop near them, more of "the stare". I'm a pretty big boy, and only the burliest SOB in a Dodge Ram "with a HEMI" is going to give me any grief.

All that to say that I have a wife and small child at home who would probably prefer that I don't endanger myself anymore than is inherent to riding on the roads...

·
Administrator
12,942 Posts
I wave real big at them like I know them. It's fun getting the confused half-wave back sometimes like they are now not sure if this is someone they know. LOL- p-owned.

:D

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
EXACTLY!

Coolhand said:
I wave real big at them like I know them. It's fun getting the confused half-wave back sometimes like they are now not sure if this is someone they know. LOL- p-owned.

:D

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
685 Posts
I agree with bikeboy............

it's best to difuse the situation and treat it like it was nothing. I put up with crap like that all the time, as most of us do, but trying to get back at them, or show a defense will only antagonize it even worse, eventhough the idiot desperately deserves it. I've had people yell at me, make smart ass remarks, throw things at me, you name it, so dont feel like you're the lone ranger on this. Just ride your bike and try to get it off your mind.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
UNF_Chaz said:
So I'm doing my usual ride and about 20 minutes in and a car with a bunch of f*cking morons decides to yell at me (all at once) as they are passing me. I flinched a little, but who wouldn't? Mind you, I'm on the right side of the road, doing nothing wrong. What would you do next? Would you just let them go or would you "do something"?

Let me put it to you this way. Don't you kind of think that their purpose of yelling at you was to make you angry? So you showed them you were angry. Congradulations. You gave them exactly what they wanted.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
handsomerob said:
FYI, you may have been less scared with a Keltec .380 in your jersey pocket :rolleyes:
Great! Somebody yells at you so you're going to brandish a handgun. I'm thinking that the likely outcome of this incident is way more likely to be bad for you than good.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Reactions aren't good, from the cyclist. As was stated earlier, flipping them the bird or swearing at them doesnt do you any good - it doesnt reeducate them. Its a very valid point. If anything it probably gives them an even more negative view of bikers.
We have to remember that this negative view of bikers is not just us, actual cyclists, but also bike riders (why I say bikers), the 10 and 11 year olds on their bikes. The negative views of drivers can be taken out on those kids, who don't know how to ride defensively; when a car passes me by 2 inches, it pisses me off, but I'm not dead. I dont think many 10 and 11 year olds can hold a line to two inches, so that close pass is much more dangerous.
Think of the kids, in a way.
Though I have to admit that I'm no angel, 2 or 3 times I've flipped the bird at cars. Once I got chased, and all I have to say is God bless clipless pedals. I was bunnyhopping curbs and everything, ended up riding a driveway, doing a U-turn. They came out after me and T-Boned a random car that happened to be going by the driveway. Gave me some pleasure, but no, it was not a good thing, in a grander scheme of things.
-estone2

·
Registered
495 Posts
If someone yells at me that is one thing, but when the intentionally almost hit me then game on. I'm not a big guy, but i'm not gonna put up with that $hit. I had a ******* pull that move on me a couple of years ago, nearly took my headoff with his 3 foot mirror. I spotted his truck in town and waited for his sorry A$$ in the parking lot. i was ready to do some re-educating. I tore him a new one verbally, and for a moment I thought he was actually going to be a man and come at me, but like all punks who act like this they are nothing but a bunch of pusses. The crowd that gathered got a good laugh at the guy. I initially gave him the chance to apologize or give me a reason by asking "did you see me back there?".... his response was "yeah, that is the only reason your still alive"... what he meant by this comment was that I should thank him for letting me live. I should have just dropped him right there.

Why do we think it is ok to let them do it? Would you let someone fire a gun 3 inches from your head, or swing a bat and miss you by an inch? nope. I am not a violent person in any way, nor do I have any sort of a temper problem. I also am unafraid to protect myself at all costs, and look forward to the day I can pull some punk through his open window and teach him a little lesson. I'm just not into the whole wussification of america I guess. And by the way, I've been hit by an RV and missed almost a year of work because of it.

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
I like to wave and blow kisses. That usually generates a smile and a laugh.

Except for the people who throw pennies at me. I like to yell that they're supposed to throw dollars, not coins. :D

1 - 20 of 71 Posts