Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Nuts..

Dude was like on a rocket.. I thought for sure he wouldn't catch Hausler.. (SP) Guess he's been working on the climbs.. I thought for sure when Rebellin attacked, he'd go out the back. My friend that's a Giant dealer is so pissed Giant didn't stay with them..

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
He showed how good a sprinter he is today indeed.

Nobody thought he won. Till you look at the replay of course. And the pace was a whooping 44km/h for 298km!!!!!!

WTF????

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
uzziefly said:
We already knew he was a sprinter! What we didn't know is that he could survive those climbs, putting him in position to sprint. 295 Km and he just fires off the front. Wow!

Look out, Belgium. There's a new big dog in the pack.

JR

·
Old enough to know better
720 Posts
Maybe Cav has studied up on mind games this past week too?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I understand the tactics of racing very well, but as a spectator part of me always feels a little ripped off when a race of 300kms comes down to a cm or two, with the peleton a few meters behind that. Sprints are pretty phenomenal, Cavendish is impressive, etc., but I much prefer to see a rider or two throw caution to the wind, ditch the protective shield of the peleton and the lead-out men, and go for it early (earlier than Hausler did today, though I liked his gumption). I'm thinking Cancellara 08, Argentin/Kelly 92, etc..

Anyone here *prefer* the on-the-line, peleton-just-behind finishes like we saw today?

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Cavendish is looking good for the green at TdF this year.

·
Old enough to know better
720 Posts
cyclelogic72 said:
I understand the tactics of racing very well, but as a spectator part of me always feels a little ripped off when a race of 300kms comes down to a cm or two, with the peleton a few meters behind that. Sprints are pretty phenomenal, Cavendish is impressive, etc., but I much prefer to see a rider or two throw caution to the wind, ditch the protective shield of the peleton and the lead-out men, and go for it early (earlier than Hausler did today, though I liked his gumption). I'm thinking Cancellara 08, Argentin/Kelly 92, etc..

Anyone here *prefer* the on-the-line, peleton-just-behind finishes like we saw today?

Conditions have to be right for a break to work. Plus you need the right group make up. It seemed like teams just didn't want to send people up the road today for that. For whatever reason they wanted a sprint type finish today, why? Hard to say.

FWIW a break of 5 riders for example is kind of anti climatic too, you know one of the 5 will win but who. When it comes down to that I guess I prefer a group sprint (say 25+) to the line. More riders in a final group tends to mean more fireworks at the line and sometimes some real surprises.

Just my 2 cents

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
cyclelogic72 said:

You need Fabian Cancellara for that. No one else could have done it today with the speeds they were going at man!

Levi could TT away but he doesn't have the explosiveness needed. I mean, if he was racing of course.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Was simply a matter of 3+ teams betting that their best play was their sprinter (Benatti/Liquigas, Cav/Highroad, Hushovd/Cervelo, Boonen/QS). When those teams want a sprint, they're going to make ut happen.

·
Registered
273 Posts
wad an awesome sprint... thor getting slower or something? or haussler leadout was simply too fast?

hausler did well to try hold on cav despite sprinting from far far out..... cav did well to react fast and win it as well... these 2 are my favourite sprinters now....

go haussler..

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
deastin said:
Conditions have to be right for a break to work. Plus you need the right group make up. It seemed like teams just didn't want to send people up the road today for that. For whatever reason they wanted a sprint type finish today, why? Hard to say.

FWIW a break of 5 riders for example is kind of anti climatic too, you know one of the 5 will win but who. When it comes down to that I guess I prefer a group sprint (say 25+) to the line. More riders in a final group tends to mean more fireworks at the line and sometimes some real surprises.

Just my 2 cents
+1 I hate small breakaways, especially when they get within 5k, realize they have enough time and start dicking with one another.

I love seeing a bunch sprint. All those guys are so powerful and watching them is like a controlled explosion.

·
Banned
3,305 Posts
deastin said:
Maybe Cav has studied up on mind games this past week too?
His coach is Zabel and his mentor is Hincapie. Can't do too much better than that.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
j3fri said:
wad an awesome sprint... thor getting slower or something? or haussler leadout was simply too fast?

hausler did well to try hold on cav despite sprinting from far far out..... cav did well to react fast and win it as well... these 2 are my favourite sprinters now....

go haussler..
Nahhh. Haussler went pretty early and that must have surprised Thor a little bit as you don't see him trying to catch his wheel at all.

Only Mark Cavendish reacted fast enough and man, when that guy goes, he flies!!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Haussler and Cavendish are very different riders though, we still haven't seen Cavendish at the spring classics but Haussler was off the front in most of those and doing well. I'd like to see Cavendish do Gent-Gent and KBK next year.

·
Registered
107 Posts
uzziefly said:

Nobody thought he won. Till you look at the replay of course. And the pace was a whooping 44km/h for 298km!!!!!!

WTF????

fast pace was due to nice tailwinds most of the day.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
cyclelogic72 said:
Two sides of a coin.

If it were always someone going off the front, it would be like marathon running or cross-country mtb racing, i.e. boring.

If were always a group sprint, it'd be keirin. Not boring, but not road racing.

Vive le difference.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.