Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I find this to be pretty interesting as one is a powerful sprinter and one is a GC guy.

Do you guys think Evans is a little heavy for his height?
is cav really 5'9"? I always thought he was around 5'7". Maybe it is because Cav has short, squat legs???

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I wouldn't waste your time assume wikipedia/internet listed weights and actual race day weight are the same.
Just with 10 seconds of googling right now I found Evans listed as 140 and 154.

I know it's tough to judge weight by appearance but I'm 5' 8" 150 pounds and I'd look like a fat NFL lineman next to Evans so I doubt he races at 150.

·
Registered
23,039 Posts

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't waste your time assume wikipedia/internet listed weights and actual race day weight are the same.
Just with 10 seconds of googling right now I found Evans listed as 140 and 154.

I know it's tough to judge weight by appearance but I'm 5' 8" 150 pounds and I'd look like a fat NFL lineman next to Evans so I doubt he races at 150.
Actually what prompted me to post this thread was that one of the Eurosport commentators on the Giro broadcast (stage 16) mentioned how both Cav and Evans are of the same height and weight yet they're totally different rider. They mention it's genetic, different muscle type, muscle density, etc.

And the fact that Cav seems to have bigger quads, and Evans seem to be a little top-heavy compared to Cav, makes it even more remarkable that Evans is such a great GC guys (GC guys are all about W/kg).

Someone up there said Evans is a great TT guys because he's heavy. But then Cav is also heavy, and he's a terrible TT guy. And then there are other skinly and lanky guys (eg, Wiggins, Froome, Nibali) who are just as good or better than Evans. So seesm like muscle type make-up (genetic) plays a big role.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Genetics, training progression over the years and hence muscle recruitment patterns,
individual instinctive pedalling habits and body language on the bike while producing
wattage, psychological adaptations to stress interacting with all the above...

·
Good Person
1,695 Posts
Actually what prompted me to post this thread was that one of the Eurosport commentators on the Giro broadcast (stage 16) mentioned how both Cav and Evans are of the same height and weight yet they're totally different rider. They mention it's genetic, different muscle type, muscle density, etc.

And the fact that Cav seems to have bigger quads, and Evans seem to be a little top-heavy compared to Cav, makes it even more remarkable that Evans is such a great GC guys (GC guys are all about W/kg).

Someone up there said Evans is a great TT guys because he's heavy. But then Cav is also heavy, and he's a terrible TT guy. And then there are other skinly and lanky guys (eg, Wiggins, Froome, Nibali) who are just as good or better than Evans. So seesm like muscle type make-up (genetic) plays a big role.

I heard the same comments on Eurosport. It was also noted that muscle composition is different in different athletes; 50 lbs of muscle from one athlete is not necessarily the same as 50 lbs of muscle in another athlete. Also, genetics can cause different bodies to undergo cellular respiration differently. Evans' aerobic capabilities are extraordinary and in the very top tier of the pro peloton. Cavendish is not able to perform with sustained efforts to the same level as Evans but the energy that he can produce during short intense efforts is also in the very top tier of the pro peloton. People also talk about "fast twitch" and "slow twitch" muscle fiber, of which I am less informed, but people would argue that some athletes have stronger "fast twitch" muscle fiber and others have stronger "slow twitch" fiber (there is some controversy over this). Theoretically, this is why we can have track sprinters and marathon runners of roughly the same height and weight with very different skill sets.

I believe that the primary difference is variances in the individuals' genetic energy production capacities.

·
Recycle King
870 Posts
I find this to be pretty interesting as one is a powerful sprinter and one is a GC guy.

Do you guys think Evans is a little heavy for his height?
Hell, I am a little heavy for my height.(5'6", 157-160lbs)

·
Recycle King
870 Posts
Cav is just a slacker who needs to try harder, he could win grand tours.

Cadel could sprint better but he just doesn't see the point.
Keep in mind Cadel is a former mt. biker. He's got the grind it mentality from years of racing xc mt biking.

·
Recycle King
870 Posts
I think of it as being a little short for my weight. 5'9" 170 lb.

No, you are vertically challenged for your weight.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.