Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone confirm that it's ok to use a star nut on the Cannondale Premium Plus fork? I know star nuts are typically considered a no-no w/ carbon steerers, but I read that cannondale says it's ok w/ their forks.

Also, do you have to use the extended-length cannondale top cap that's supplied with the fork, or can I use any generic top cap? The cannondale website says you have to use their top cap, as the extension reinforces the inside diameter of the steerer tube, but the fork I just got off of ebay didn't come w/ one...

THANKS!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I think it's best to use their dedicated version if you plan to use a star nut. I wouldn't risk sticking something generic in there. Alternatively, it's also possible to mount their forks using a standard expander as well.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
I wouldn't...

A generic star nut, intended for a metal steering tube should never be used with a carbon steerer. Carbon steering tubes need the support of an expansion plug.

The type of extended top cap that you have described is pretty common these days. It can't be absolutely necessary, since a great many forks work successfully with ordinary top caps. The extended length caps do provide extra protection against overtightening at the top, but only if the fit is pretty tight. Other precautions include cutting the steering tube about 3mm taller than the stem with a 5mm spacer on top and following the stem manufacturers recommended torque on the steering tube clamp bolts.

FSA makes two models of "compressors". The aluminum top version is a lot cheaper.

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/product_info.phtml?p=01-111932&r=7

http://store.airbomb.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=HD4676

·
Registered
519 Posts
Myth, Myth concerning the need for the expander plug for support. Ask Easton, the plug is not required for support at all only to press the headset and set the stem. Some even remove it or use a Bear trap all together.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Why not just get the part from C'Dale? It's like $15 for the nut (which is usually inserted pretty far down the tube), extra long bolt and slotted cap. Your dealer can set the nut with a tool down around the fourth ridge in the tube and the whole setup will work as intended. After a couple of days wait for the part and 10 minutes in the shop, you can have the OEM fork and HS.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MerckxMad said:
Why not just get the part from C'Dale? It's like $15 for the nut (which is usually inserted pretty far down the tube), extra long bolt and slotted cap. Your dealer can set the nut with a tool down around the fourth ridge in the tube and the whole setup will work as intended. After a couple of days wait for the part and 10 minutes in the shop, you can have the OEM fork and HS.
that's exactly what I did...supposed to get the part in later this week. thanks!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.