Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I purchase a set of the BB30 C'dale SI cranks? Seems as thought they don't sell them anywhere?

·
extremely biased
870 Posts
you local cannondale dealer.

KA015/[size]BLK or KA014/[size]BLK are your part numbers for standard or compact. You'll also need a BB (QC690).

Be ready for a 6-8 week wait (at a minimum).......... or try and find a dealer than has them in stock.

Starnut

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You guys know what kind of cost I'm looking at? I need the compact in Silver.

·
Naso Unicornis
875 Posts
If you're looking at purchasing brand new then the Hollowgram SLs run $735-$750. The spindle with the steel bearings around about $110 and about $170 with the ceramic bearings.

Hopefully supply has gotten better for them. The back order time exceeded several months last year. Hopefuly it's better now.

CHL

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Good luck with silver Cannondale only offers in black version only.

·
Banned
882 Posts
eBay is gonna be your best bet in the last couple weeks i've seen the hollowgram si cranks go for as little as $220 i've thrown down a few dummy bids around $160 range just incase i caught someone sleeping and i could pick off a set cheap.

if you really want a nice set your gonna have to bid around the $300+ range.

they did have a set of hollowgram si cranks and complete SRM IV go for $1100 yesterday and that is the lowest i've ever seen that happen normal range for the cannondale hollowgram SRM's is around $1700.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
My is up for sale with ceramic bearing 50/34 09 Mark V rings less than 400 miles. If interest send me an email.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Sorry to thread jack a few WEEKS after the fact, but can any of you guys tell me whether or not the Si and/or Si SL cranks are supposed to come with pedal washers? My other bike has an '08 SRAM Red crankset, and that came with pedal washers. I bought the Si SL cranks used so I'm not sure where or not they are supposed to come with them.

Gracias!
-Chris

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Chris,

I don't think mine came with the pedal washer, we might want to verify with Starnut.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
zamboni said:
Chris,

I don't think mine came with the pedal washer, we might want to verify with Starnut.
That's kind of what I was HOPING for but I didn't want to DIRECTLY call him out or disturb him, as I'm sure I'll have a half a dozen "more important" questions to ask him in the not-so-distant future :)

My LBS said the pedal washers are just for idiots that tend to over-tighten things. I immediately said "that's me" and proceeded to draw as much attention to my idiotic self as possible :)

When I recently ordered two pairs of Look Keos, I was assuming they'd come with pedal washers, but they didn't. My LBS said they come with cranksets, not pedals.

I guess I'll find out sooner or later, but once I do I'll never have to ask again! :thumbsup:

-Chris

·
Naso Unicornis
875 Posts
Hi Chris:

Negative on the pedal washers. Both of mine did not come with them. You can buy them off cheaply off EBAY. Just do a search. A guy that lives near me (Palo Alto, Ca I think) sells them dirt cheap. I've bought from him several times. He's quick to ship. Your LBS should be able to supply you with them as well.

CHL

·
Registered
296 Posts
RoadBikeVirgin said:
That's kind of what I was HOPING for but I didn't want to DIRECTLY call him out or disturb him, as I'm sure I'll have a half a dozen "more important" questions to ask him in the not-so-distant future :)

My LBS said the pedal washers are just for idiots that tend to over-tighten things. I immediately said "that's me" and proceeded to draw as much attention to my idiotic self as possible :)

When I recently ordered two pairs of Look Keos, I was assuming they'd come with pedal washers, but they didn't. My LBS said they come with cranksets, not pedals.

I guess I'll find out sooner or later, but once I do I'll never have to ask again! :thumbsup:

-Chris
They're being kind of hard with that statement, just get what you need and ditch their comments.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
zigurate said:
They're being kind of hard with that statement, just get what you need and ditch their comments.
No worries - they were just razzing me - they know if they don't, I'll do it to myself :lol:

I did go by there last week and asked if they had any pedal washers laying around - they said "no." How does a bike shop not have a tub full of them?? Isn't that like bar plugs?? I thought about getting a bag full of them to make sure they have some next time a customer asks :D

-Chris

·
extremely biased
870 Posts
Carbon SI = FSA. FSA=Poo. Thus we Carbon SI = poo.

Don't waste your time and money. They are heavier, less stiff, and don't shift as well, and have a nasty habit of coming un-bonded at the spindle or the DS insert.

If you're not going to use the alloy Cannondale cranks (or the new BB30 Sram Red. They seem to beuilt weel and we've had no issue with the sets we've installed), do yourself a favor and just use 68mm shelled frame with a DA, Campy, or Sram crank.

When you see Carbon SI.......... run away.............. far far away.

I get it, I do really. You're done with med school and you're trying to save money here on the build. I can PROMISE you you'll be much happier with the alloy cranks than the carbon ones. If cost is the issue, cut parts on the bike. Use Rival brakes in place of Red, or a Force or Rival RD in place of Red, or a 3 year old DA front der inplace of a brand new one. Buy a saddle with with ti rails instead of carbon and use steel axel pedals instead of Ti.

If you're going to nut up and buy the BB30 and you don't put the SI on it you wasted your money. If you can't be seen on anything other than Record 11, buy the crank from flee bay and pay a qualified mechanic to install them correctly.

Tattoo it on your hand or your forehead................. Carbon SI = Poo

Starnut

·
Registered
9 Posts
FSA Gossamer BB30

Starnut,

I am also building a CAAD 9 BB30 and my shop was planning on using the new FSA Gossamer BB30 crankset. Do you have an opinion on this crank? Is this a good alternative to the Cannondale Si Al crank?

Thanks,
Tim.

·
Registered
130 Posts
STARNUT said:
Carbon SI = FSA. FSA=Poo. Thus we Carbon SI = poo.

Tattoo it on your hand or your forehead................. Carbon SI = Poo

Starnut
Hilarious. Thanks for setting me straight. How about the rest of the aluminum cannondale Si cranks? Any huge difference there? I think I'll go with the brand new ones from my shop, but I'll be test riding bikes this weekend, and most likely ordering as well.
Thanks for the help.
Starnut I think we all owe you a six pack.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts