You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get my first mammogram today.

Discuss.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
As a guy I can only say. . .pancakes, vice grips, waffle iron, etc.

On a good note I can say your future already is telling me "free and clear." So, you goin' to post a pic? They may move it to podium girls though.

EDIT: Oh yeah, OUCH! My wife just had her's done and she is still complaining that I made her do it.

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
Good for you!

Personally, I think the pain from a mammogram is vastly exaggerated. Of course, everyone's pain tolerance is different, but for me it was just slightly uncomfortable.

I'm only in my 30's but I have them bi-annually due to a history of benign fibroadenomas that my doc likes to keep an eye one.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
I suppose it must be much like having my penis flattened for a LONG time in a COLD vice, so I commiserate. Treat yourself to something good afterwards. Drink, town, boogie or book, cat, chocolate.

·
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I shall definitely report back about the level of discomfort. Some folks tell me "no big deal" and some say owie owie owie.

I have a friend who wanted to come watch. I told her I thought that was weird, so "no."

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Wtf!!!!!!!!!......

jtolleson said:
I get my first mammogram today.

Discuss.
Your first....your first????????

How dare you take such liberties with your health..........Take care of yourself, we want you around!

What else haven't you been doing?

Len

PS Good for you.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
jtolleson said:
I have a friend who wanted to come watch. I told her I thought that was weird, so "no."
Agree...that's kinda like someone wanting to watch my prostate exam. :rolleyes:

·
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Len J said:
Your first....your first????????

How dare you take such liberties with your health..........Take care of yourself, we want you around!

What else haven't you been doing?

Len

PS Good for you.

Now, now, my friend. I'm not THAT far past the recommended threshold (40) for a first baseline mammogram. So, with no symptoms, lumps, adverse family history, etc. 'tis true that I've been lackadaisal.

Liberties with my health? Pshaw.

No smoking? CHECK
Regular exercise? CHECK
Reasonable diet? CHECK
Limited use of alcohol? Well, we can't have everything... :eek:

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
jtolleson said:
Now, now, my friend. I'm not THAT far past the recommended threshold (40) for a first baseline mammogram. So, with no symptoms, lumps, adverse family history, etc. 'tis true that I've been lackadaisal.

No smoking? CHECK
Regular exercise? CHECK
Reasonable diet? CHECK
The good thing about "limited" is that it stretches more than lycra. :)

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Some hurt, some don't. It really depends on the tech. If they're really good, they put a heating pad on the squisher part to warm it up.

Oh, don't forget to remove your nipple stickers..........

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
So Len.. .had an [email protected] exam lately? I've got 2 years to go and then due to some family history I get the probe. Already had it done once to locate an intestinal ulcer. Freakin' horrible!

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Yup....

Ridgetop said:
So Len.. .had an [email protected] exam lately? I've got 2 years to go and then due to some family history I get the probe. Already had it done once to locate an intestinal ulcer. Freakin' horrible!
every year since 45.

Len

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Good on ya.....

jtolleson said:

No smoking? CHECK
Regular exercise? CHECK
Reasonable diet? CHECK
Just want to make sure you are taking care of your bad self :D

Len

PS...I didn't realize 40 was the recommended age...My Wife has been going since she was 25 (Of course she has a family history)

·
Super Moderator
19,480 Posts
thinkcooper said:
Is it from that old guy in Florida that was going door to door offering free breast exams?
LOL, I saw that in the paper this morning. 76 years old and he was doing *ahem* genital exams too. The ladies figured something was not right 'cause he wasn't using any gloves. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
19,480 Posts
JT, you will soon find out that machine was not invented by or test ridden by women. I dare any man to try.....the MANOGRAM! :p:D

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
How else is a 76 year old guy going to get some younger women to drop their tops? At least if he isn't worth billions.

Heck, If I were him I'd just use the alzheimers excuse. I did what? When? Where? I thought I was watching Matlock? Women? I haven't touched a woman since my wife died in 1984!

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
robwh9 said:
prostate exam for a mammogram.
Here's how I described a mamogram to my friend. Take your testicles, place them on a cold plate, smash them down to 1/2 an inch thick with another plate, hold your breath, don't move for 30 seconds.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts