Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Calm like a Bomb..
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a blackberry and plan to eventually get an iphone so these phones are too big to really carry so I was thinking it may be a good idea to get a small prepaid phone to keep in my seatbag for emergencies . Anyone doing anything similar? Only issue i see is that it looks like the minutes run out after a couple months which makes me think I may just add a free extra line to my tmobile account and get a free phone which wont cost anything but I will have to sign a 2 year contract

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
stunzeed said:
So I have a blackberry and plan to eventually get an iphone so these phones are too big to really carry so I was thinking it may be a good idea to get a small prepaid phone to keep in my seatbag for emergencies . Anyone doing anything similar? Only issue i see is that it looks like the minutes run out after a couple months which makes me think I may just add a free extra line to my tmobile account and get a free phone which wont cost anything but I will have to sign a 2 year contract
My blackberry disappears in my center jersey pocket. But because it's a company asset that I don't always want to risk to riding hazards, I also keep my old mini candybar Nokia around. Just swap the SIM card and go.

You can probably beg a last-gen phone from a friend. If you don't have friends, there's always eBay.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 8830 Blackberry fits nicely in one of my rear jersey pockets. No problem at carrying this phone around. I do keep a plastic bag in case of rain and also can always check the weather radar while out on the road to try to steer around the thunder storms :)

·
likes to eat donuts
893 Posts
Now that's small!

Dr_John said:
Here's what I use. Lightest, smallest phone I could find. Does everything I need. Pantech C3b with AT&T:
For all we know you could just have GIGANTIC hands! :biggrin5:

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
I use a Motorola Razr. It's small enough to slide into a jersey pocket...

For a while, I was going through razr phones like crazy. They quit working on me........after returning the 3rd phone, it dawned on me that I only had problems after a ride.....

These phones are very susceptible to moisture...The sweat from a jersey pocket was enough to get the phone to not work properly until it dried out.......

I now slide it in a small baggie and no problems after a year of use

·
Calm like a Bomb..
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am not one to carry phones for any other reason aside for emergency so I usually have not carried one but I am thinking now that i am riding 40+ miles its a good idea

So considering it wouldnt get much use I am thinking a prepay wont be good unless I can find a company where the minutes do not run out on a month basis.

If not I can add another phone to my tmobile family plan and it wont cost anything and Ill even get the phone for free, I just have to sign a 2 year contract which may not be too bad. I can get a few small phones from them so I am going to pursue this option unles someones knows of a prepay carrier that wont run out on a time basis

·
Registered
237 Posts
cell phone carrying case

Since I often go riding while on call I need a phone readily available, and also
for those unforseen times miles away from home. Topeak makes a nice
carrier that attaches the stem for atleast two different size/style phones. It may not be the "coolest" thing to put on a bike but it is functional.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I have a ziplock baggy that I carry some of my flat kit that doesn't fit into my saddle bag. I also carry some small change and my backberry in the bag. The bag is completely unnoticeable during my ride. I have never had a problem with moisture in the bag.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.