Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After said and done a cell phones is replacing land line phones. The manufactures are trying to out duel their competitors with photo apps, , screen display, etc. The main purpose should be call phones calls.

Currently, I have a Samsung note 3 and the sound quality is OK like most other top of the line phones. Even in a fairy quiet room the have to turn the volume all the up or use a earphones. Speaker phone gets distorted has volume increases..

Almost all cell phone reviews are about the hardware and other uses for the phone. Very little, if any on phone call sound.

Suggestions on which phone manufacture has the better phone call sound quality?

I Do not plan on getting an Apple phone.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Can you use your headphones for the phone? I've noticed somebody doing this on the train, or so it looks like. I know that headphones *could* double as a microphone.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Almost all cell phone reviews are about the hardware and other uses for the phone. Very little, if any on phone call sound
I googled "cell phone reviews call sound quality" and found a bunch of comparisons by legitimate review organizations. There's lots of information out there.

The main purpose should be call phones calls.
This certainly isn't true for all users. I do talk on my phone, but probably 95% of my usage time involves looking at the screen, clicking and typing. Sound quality on my Samsung Mega 2 is good enough most of the time, but if I expect to be on the phone long, or the listening environment is noisy, I use a Bluetooth earpiece.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
True story: I've used my Palm Treo as my primary work phone for many many years... no I'm not kidding, it simply has better / more reliable reception, clearer / better sound quality, than any more modern phone. I use a corded Plantronics earpiece and people tell me I sound better than most landlines.

These are for business calls, very important, and there is always someone on a bad cell connection, or worse yet, a voip service... it sucks...

Anyway, I'm recently testing my Samsung S5 android, it's doing ok but can't quite get loud enough for my (damaged) hearing.

·
Registered
760 Posts
FWIW, as a VoIP engineer, and audiophile, whose primary concerns regarding cell phones are reception, and call quality, I'm partial to Motorola hardware. However given the lack of flagship level Moto phones for my carrier, I'm currently happy with both reception and call quality from my HTC m9.

·
Registered
314 Posts
AFAIK, while speaker volume is a property of the phone, it's mostly the cell system that causes poor sound quality. Voice calls don't get much bandwidth allocation, which makes for poor fidelity.

There's also a lot of moment-to-moment variation in the system delays. Delay variations affect voice calls a little, and they hardly matter at all in texting, web surfing, etc. But if you've listened to hold music on a cell phone in the last few years, you've probably heard effects of delay variation: weird hiccups and pitches bending all over the place. I used to only feel ignored while I was on hold. Nowdays I feel I'm being assaulted.

Cell phone reality is that old-school phone calls are only a small part of the business, and they get treated as such.

·
Registered
701 Posts
My experience is I get way better quality using an app called Viber. Videos, pictures, and sound quality are so much better on a good wifi connection.

I just have a Samsung Galaxy Express but was the same on my old LG Optimus.

·
Registered
760 Posts
AFAIK, while speaker volume is a property of the phone, it's mostly the cell system that causes poor sound quality. Voice calls don't get much bandwidth allocation, which makes for poor fidelity.

There's also a lot of moment-to-moment variation in the system delays. Delay variations affect voice calls a little, and they hardly matter at all in texting, web surfing, etc. But if you've listened to hold music on a cell phone in the last few years, you've probably heard effects of delay variation: weird hiccups and pitches bending all over the place. I used to only feel ignored while I was on hold. Nowdays I feel I'm being assaulted.

Cell phone reality is that old-school phone calls are only a small part of the business, and they get treated as such.

There is an audible difference between hardware, given the same carrier, even when factoring codec, traffic, and signal quality and variances. The increased level of compression, for a given codec, does not automatically dictate that a call will sound "poor".

As someone who has recorded Automated Call Directories, I can say for sure that the quality of "Music on hold" is not a good metric , as it is subject to the feed, or file's initial recording quality, as well as the quality/state of its host server. The sound could be affected by the system resources, or lack thereof, on the server itself, which are independent of the carrier network quality at the time.

While circuit quality has a significant affect on call quality, all phones are not created equal. To this day, my sub $200 Motorola Defy (price at release) consistently had better sound quality than any of my Samsung Notes, or Galaxy S...and better reception numbers as well. Even found it better than the various HTC and Nokia phones as well...at least until now, with the m9.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,283 Posts
Sure, my ears have gotten worse over the decades but nothing I've heard in years has been as intelligible as a genuine, old-school landline desktop telephone. Frequency range has become frighteningly narrow. The signal now cuts out between words. The signal then takes its own sweet time coming back. Because of this, initial consonants are cut off.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
my Galaxy s7 is pretty good, that is, if I get enough signal to use it as a phone. But I blame that on location.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The main purpose should be call phones calls.
This certainly isn't true for all users. I do talk on my phone, but probably 95% of my usage time involves looking at the screen, clicking and typing. Sound quality on my Samsung Mega 2 is good enough most of the time, but if I expect to be on the phone long, or the listening environment is noisy, I use a Bluetooth earpiece.
Agreed, I haven't had a landline since like 2004, but my mobile phone...I use to make 2 maybe 3 calls a month. The rest of the time is text messaging or internet usage.

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
Why are you calling it a phone when it is a tablet?
A phone is for talking. I miss my old motorola, never had a phone that I considered acceptable since then.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
I've noticed perfectly clear sound with my Galaxy S5 & currently the S7. However, most of it is that T-Mobile has the high definition sound over their network.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Why are you calling it a phone when it is a tablet?
A phone is for talking. I miss my old motorola, never had a phone that I considered acceptable since then.
Okay. I'll stay off of your lawn from now on.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
Agreed, I haven't had a landline since like 2004, but my mobile phone...I use to make 2 maybe 3 calls a month. The rest of the time is text messaging or internet usage.
If you ever need 911 from home, hopefully never, you will be thankful for a landline. I was.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
If you ever need 911 from home, hopefully never, you will be thankful for a landline. I was.
Gunna be hard when there is no actual landline... I did live in a place for a few years with no physical connection to the house in the mid 2000's. We've been on naked connection (no phone line connected) for years and since we got fiber connection last year its all internet, I think we can use VoIP, but no idea really. I just use my mobile if I need to make a call which is rare. (and yes I've had to call 911, well 000 here and it worked fine, although wasn't so good about the neighbours trying to kill themselves)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts