Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a shifiting problem I need some help diagnosing. 2005 Centaur shifters, ~8K miles on them. When upshifting, the cable wants to keep going past the click into the next gear. Fine on downshifts, just on the upshifts. If I gently shift up, it will just go into the next gear. If I use normal force, it wants to continue to try to shift up to the next cog.

Make sense? Any ideas? Cableset has about 3K on it.

Thanks in advance.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
kmc said:
Got a shifiting problem I need some help diagnosing. 2005 Centaur shifters, ~8K miles on them. When upshifting, the cable wants to keep going past the click into the next gear. Fine on downshifts, just on the upshifts. If I gently shift up, it will just go into the next gear. If I use normal force, it wants to continue to try to shift up to the next cog.

Make sense? Any ideas? Cableset has about 3K on it.

Thanks in advance.
Broken G-spring. Maybe. Is the "click" as audible as when new? The mileage seems kind of low for worn parts although the symptoms point to the shifter and not the remainder of the drivetrain. I have the same shifters on my Pegoretti. This past weekend I rebuilt a set of record levers to replace the centaur ones so I am very familiar with the internals. My thumbs are still sore.

· Registered
2,024 Posts
Check and see if your rear der is centered on the 4th smallest cog and if maybe the der cage is canted too much away from the rear wheel- toward the outside. use the spring loaded adjuster where the der cable enters the rear derailleur. Perhaps the alignment of the rear derailleur makes it want to continue on when you upshift. Maybe that's it.

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bigbill said:
Broken G-spring. Maybe. Is the "click" as audible as when new? The mileage seems kind of low for worn parts although the symptoms point to the shifter and not the remainder of the drivetrain. I have the same shifters on my Pegoretti. This past weekend I rebuilt a set of record levers to replace the centaur ones so I am very familiar with the internals. My thumbs are still sore.
Bill...yes the click is audible. I do not suspect the deraileur...has to be shifter related. Someone suggested a binding cable...I might try to replace the rear cable and see if that helps. If not, then I am off to try my first shifter rebuild. Where did you get your parts...Branford Bike?

Thanks for help.

Kurt

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
David Loving said:
Check and see if your rear der is centered on the 4th smallest cog and if maybe the der cage is canted too much away from the rear wheel- toward the outside. use the spring loaded adjuster where the der cable enters the rear derailleur. Perhaps the alignment of the rear derailleur makes it want to continue on when you upshift. Maybe that's it.
Thanks David...I will check that out.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
kmc said:
Bill...yes the click is audible. I do not suspect the deraileur...has to be shifter related. Someone suggested a binding cable...I might try to replace the rear cable and see if that helps. If not, then I am off to try my first shifter rebuild. Where did you get your parts...Branford Bike?

Thanks for help.

Kurt
I got my parts from Competitive Cyclist. They are a little pricey, but they offer the group of parts in a kit and give me a military discount. Branford is good but pricey as well. Eurobikeparts stocks the "red" springs if you want to give your shifters a stiffer feel. Youtube has the campy video for disassembly and reassembly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.