Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Ribble not showing 2011 Centaur yet. Their 2010 group price is $625CDN after discount which is pretty darn good.

I see cosmetic changes for 2011, less skeleton'y brakes, and that different crank arrangement, but I'm not sure there is anything really substantial. If your'e thinking of going Campy this would be a good start.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Just saw another post that reminded me that Campy have changed the shifter mech, and maybe not for the better in the Centaur . The 2011 changes appear to be aimed at reducing function.

You may be better off with a 2010 group.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I'm going from memory here - but Athena I believe is very comparable to Record/Chorus in functionality. ie a good deal for 11 spd.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
bikerjulio said:
I'm going from memory here - but Athena I believe is very comparable to Record/Chorus in functionality. ie a good deal for 11 spd.
While that was the case for 2010, Campagnolo claims that for 2011

"The Athena(tm) controls employ Power-Shift(tm) technology, which enables multiple shifting (three gear cogs) upward and single shifting downward."

while Record/Chorus will still shift multiple cogs smaller.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Drew Eckhardt said:
While that was the case for 2010, Campagnolo claims that for 2011

"The Athena(tm) controls employ Power-Shift(tm) technology, which enables multiple shifting (three gear cogs) upward and single shifting downward."

while Record/Chorus will still shift multiple cogs smaller.
So "slightly" better than the ill-advised Escape shifters. Sounds like a downspec to me.:(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I trying to decide between Shimano 6700 or 2011 Centaur. They are the same price. It's been a long time 30+ years since I've ridden campy but would like to give it a try. Just can't decide...

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I'm a Campy user on multiple bikes. The new shape levers are very comfortable, but Campy does strange marketing/engineering things at times. Newer is not always better. You may be better off with a 2010 Centaur group.

·
lodestar
85 Posts
bikerjulio said:
I'm a Campy user on multiple bikes. The new shape levers are very comfortable, but Campy does strange marketing/engineering things at times. Newer is not always better. You may be better off with a 2010 Centaur group.
If you want 10 speed, buy a 2010 group fer shure. Better hurry.

KS

1 - 10 of 10 Posts