Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 105 right now and wanted to upgrade my components without breaking the bank.
is Centaur an upgrade coming from a 105 kind a dumb question centaur is the 105 of Campagnolo. or Should I go Ultegra SL which is a little more money than Centaur. Is Centaur better than a 105 ? Campy guys and Shimano guys what do you think ? Bike weighs right now at 17.8lbs with 105 components.

· monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
Centaur works quite well but is pretty much the 105 of the campy lineup and its not nearly as good since they downgraded the shifter internals last year. Shimano works superbly and the biggest advantage for you in upgrading to Shimano is the fact that you don't have to get new wheels or swap the freehub body on your existing wheels.

· Registered
578 Posts
ultegra sl is closer to what you have and to dura ace.. than centaur to record and ur current setup...

and ultegra sl is just as pretty.. sans carbon

· Registered
1,536 Posts
The difference between 105 and ultegra is not all that much, you would probably be better off upgrading your wheelset, IMO. The wheels that come on most 105 equipped bikes are usually mediocre at best. You would probably spend $700-$900 to upgrade to Ultegra. For that much, you could get a great set of wheels that make a much bigger performance difference that the 105 to ultegra swap. Plus you would still have your old wheels for rainy rides and beater service.

· Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually the wheels are upgraded already to an older Kysrium SL - few upgrades are crankset, seatpost, seat, stem and handlebar. reason I ask is i've been adjusting the RD lately every ride. few weeks ago a friend who's a bike mechanic tune the bike so it shift smoothly. and last saturdays right for some reason the RD is jumping gear - and next thing I know i snapped a chain. I'm putting in a DuraAce Chain this weekend. so I thought about upgrading my drivetrain if itmakes any difference. Thought about Centaur for the price and weight.

· Humanity...or....Vanity?
406 Posts
I have Ultegra on one bike and Centaur ('06 version) on another and have found the Centaur to be a better shifting experience IMO. You should find a shop with Campy equipped bikes and try it for yourself before you spend the money.

I believe you can't go wrong with either but as said in other posts you will need to add an additional wheelset or replace the cassette with an American Classic.

If everything else is working fine on your bike then I would replace the chain, cassette and RD to Ultegra and spend about $200 and be done with it.

· Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you're right maybe chage the cassette rd and chain - here's what I see it

2007 Centaur with no Crankset is about $500 all New in box. if I put my 105 drivetrain I could probably still get around $250 or so. for another extra $250 I have a new drivetrain. does that make sense at all? is 105 better than a 2007 Centaur?

· Registered
8,000 Posts
nismosr said:
you're right maybe chage the cassette rd and chain - here's what I see it

2007 Centaur with no Crankset is about $500 all New in box. if I put my 105 drivetrain I could probably still get around $250 or so. for another extra $250 I have a new drivetrain. does that make sense at all? is 105 better than a 2007 Centaur?
Centusr is a 1/2 step up IMO.

· Humanity...or....Vanity?
406 Posts
I like the feel of the Campy brifters over the Shimano brifters, and as I said before I like the crispness in shifting with Campy more than Shimano. This is my personal opinion as I have used 105, Ultegra, and Centaur and hands down I do believe you would be upgrading by going to Centaur. Having said that, you should try it out as you may not agree with me after using Campy.

· Oh hai there
1,118 Posts
Centaur was an upgrade for me from Ultegra. It is lighter too.

Campy shifters fit my hands better, Sram is too small and Shimano is a little awkward for me.

I would go with DWWheels suggestion and try some bikes out first.

· Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
If you like the brifters specifically, you can just get the Centaur brifters if you also get a Jtek Shiftmate with the rest of your Shimano drivetrain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.