Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an opinion on how many miles I should expect from a Campy Centaur CT chain ring? I ask, because I can get a spare set for dirt cheap, but if I will not outlive the current one, I will pass.

FYI, I have about 9000 miles of life left in me.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
ahh, 400 mi a yr? u seriously don't need extra rings...

that said i think my UT chainrings wear out quicker than older record.. hrmm... maybe it hit something cos two teeth are worn at the same place... still works fine.

· Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Much thanks. BTW, how many miles do you think Centuar BB will last (spindle). It looks like Veloces are gone everywhere and I don't want to think about finding one years from now so I am looking at getting a spare. All my experience up till now is cup and cone.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
no problemo... now campy bearings is were its at.... i ran the old record sq taper and it had 10k... no issues at all.... the newer UT has bigger bearings so should last even longer... mine i would s'pose would have about 4k on them... i recently needed to reinstall them due to a cracked frame... and they were perfect... not even close to needing replacement...i'd have a good look at them at about 8-10k... i also race this frame and mash up hills and am heavy for a cyclist...

so yeah... i have about the equivalent of about 10 yrs use... u don't need back up bits.... u don't need a veloce crank for parts... the spindle is not the bearing package a la shimano... u need a shop to pull the cartridge style bearing and re-install.... so wort comes to worst, u just need the bearings... as is the norm w/ cartirdge, its prolly an industrial standard size, or there are lots of aftermarket manufacturers willing to make it into one...

in any case, campy is pretty good with NOS parts... u just need the pqart number from their tech docs online and ur lbs can order it... their prices are fair considering.... u can even now get parts for old discontinued ergos... i recently had to rebuild mine b/c a spring broke on my non QS 2005 chorus ergolever... cost: $5... so no worries there...

· Registered
2,286 Posts
not to mention, if the centaur crank wears out it prolly isn't economical to replace rings and bearings... i'd bin it and get whatever is out at the time... seriously, i bought my Centaur UT for like $155 a while ago !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.