Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Satanic Watch Winder
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Adding another bike to the collection and am considering the above mentioned shifters. No posts in the reviews yet, but is anyone using these and how do you like them? Have 05 Chorus 10 on another bike and, aside from two rebuilds since 2004, they've been fine.

· Registered
480 Posts
There has been many threads discussing the Escape mech used in the new Centaur and lower groups. Only one gear per thumb shift. Some hate it and some don't think it makes any difference. I believe the majority of Campy users would recommend upgrading the shifters to Chorus.

Try searching "escape".

· Oh hai there
1,118 Posts
I went to Campagnolo North America last week and all the guys in the whole shop run Centaur carbon...guess what I run?

I like it just fine. If I need to change gears quickly I can flick my thumb fast enough (thanks Nintendo) that it sounds like the rear-derailleur is doing it in one sweep.

· Registered
380 Posts
I've been riding on it for over a year and a half. I like it a lot and don't have any trouble flicking the button fast enough to shift where I need it to be. I figure if I lose a race it's probably not because I'm shifting too slow--my legs are much slower!

· Registered
10,161 Posts
downsides...

The new Centaur does not work like your old model. In addition to the one click limit with the thumb button, there is no trim click for the FD. There is an awkward movement where you hold pressure on the finger lever, then hit the thumb button and can get the FD to move left a bit, but according to our resident Campy expert, this is a fluke and the cage is not likely to hold this position for long.

I'd spend a few extra bucks for Chorus.

· Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
C-40 said:
The new Centaur does not work like your old model. In addition to the one click limit with the thumb button, there is no trim click for the FD. There is an awkward movement where you hold pressure on the finger lever, then hit the thumb button and can get the FD to move left a bit, but according to our resident Campy expert, this is a fluke and the cage is not likely to hold this position for long.

Centaur certainly does have FD trim, just not on the big ring. Doesn't matter a bit, provided one uses the new cage, narrow chain, and sets it up appropriately. Might get some rub in the big-big of a compact setup, but that's hardly a drawback.

The small ring (middle on a triple) has three positions.

But yeah, spend the cash on Chorus if that's what you are accustomed to. Centaur's perfectly usable in every way, but you'll prefer the higher line.

· Registered
397 Posts
wrong

C-40 said:

QS Centaur does have trim positions. Mine has two trim positions in the low gear position (one in each direction) and one in the high gear position (outward only, though this my be due to the limit screw setting). My setup was installed and taught to me by a Campy rep during a demo in my LBS.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
thumb button trim...

I didn't say that there were no trim clicks, just none with the thumb button. You can awkwardly get one out of the thumb button if the cable tension is just right (and pressing the finger lever at thumb button at the same time?). I much prefer unlimited click of the thumb button. Of course the finger lever still has many more clicks. If it didn't it would be pretty tough to handle double FDs that require 4 clicks and triples that require 7. I'll never buy it and hope it disappears for '09, but I'll be riding 11 speed then.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=130208

· Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
C-40 said:
I didn't say that there were no trim clicks, just none with the thumb button....

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=130208

Previous post read 'there is no trim for the FD.' Perhaps you meant it differently, but any misreading is arrived at honestly.

And that linked thread is a wealth of mis-information. First, a few clicks at the Campy website or a few moments with the physical product reveals three positions on a Centaur middle ring. So all of this nonsense about it not having trim unless it's mal-adjusted is sourced from folks that can neither read nor properly adjust a bike, and as such can safely be ignored.

As a point of clarification, I'm the one (at least one of the ones) that suggested the tension-drop trick. It has nothing to do with g-springs riding somewhere amiss, as Escape doesn't have G-springs. Again, more 'expert' advice that has nothing at all to do with objective, verifiable reality. What that technique does do is to allow a drop from the big ring into the top trim position for the middle ring. A normal thumb click puts you down to the bottom-middle position, to be trimmed later (if desired) with the finger lever. Yep, it's a bother, but that's OK. Shifting from from big-small to small-small is done with the same frequency as lottery winning, so there's nothing gained by finding the interim positions.

All those glorius 'extra' clicks of Chorus might have some use with obsoleted FD's and chains in upshift situations, but in downshifts on modern equipment, they're just positions that need to be bypassed on the way down. There's no need to trim the big ring these days. It might be with an extra marketing cog added to the back, but that's not a 'feature' of this line in any case.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on anything, only trying to address some of the misinformation and rumor that passes as gospel in this intellectual backwater of the interweb.

Chorus might be a better option than Centaur - after all, it's heavier and more expensive, but most importantly solves a non-existant problem. I suppose one could argue those useless bonus clicks in case a cable slips or some such nonsense, but adequate maintenance addresses most of that, and barrel adjusters cover the rest. It's probably more reliable over time, but Escape Centaur hasn't been around long enough to say that for certain. Campy sells Escape as the minimum-maintenance, minimun-wear option, for what that's worth.

I'm not saying I prefer Centaur, but it is a perfectly worthwhile system. As I see it, it ends up more a status question than anything else. Like compacts or carbon frames, most of the folks that rail against it are last-generation luddites or ill-considered elitists that have never tried it.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
from Campy...

Anyone interested can go to the Campy web site and read the instructions, which are typically poor and minimal. http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/7225316-Ergopower QS ESCAPE-05-06.pdf

It says that with a triple crank, there is no trim except from the middle ring. Oddly enough, it suggests that there is a trim position from the big ring with a double, but not with a triple. This is contradictory, because the shifter doesn't know the difference between a double or triple big ring. It says nothing about pushing on the finger lever while also pushing on the thumb button to trim to the left from the big ring.

All I can say is I have played with an escape shifter at a local shop and any time I hit the thumb button from the big ring, it just shifted to the little ring. If holding the finger lever while pushing the thumb button reliably produces a trim click to the left, it's unfortunate Campy isn't smart enough to include the information in their instructions. Most users would never stumble upon that.

· Registered
2,746 Posts
C-40 said:
Anyone interested can go to the Campy web site and read the instructions, which are typically poor and minimal. https://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/7225316-Ergopower QS ESCAPE-05-06.pdf

It says that with a triple crank, there is no trim except from the middle ring. Oddly enough, it suggests that there is a trim position from the big ring with a double, but not with a triple. This is contradictory, because the shifter doesn't know the difference between a double or triple big ring. It says nothing about pushing on the finger lever while also pushing on the thumb button to trim to the left from the big ring.

All I can say is I have played with an escape shifter at a local shop and any time I hit the thumb button from the big ring, it just shifted to the little ring. If holding the finger lever while pushing the thumb button reliably produces a trim click to the left, it's unfortunate Campy isn't smart enough to include the information in their instructions. Most users would never stumble upon that.
maybe I was lucky, but on my Veloce QS Ergos I can lightly hit the thumb button and trim the FD. I think it may come down to how much pull you have to go from little ring to big ring. I wonder if it is necessary to have a certain "length" swing in order for it to be "trimmed" back down half that distance if that makes sense.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.