Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Centaur 10 spd setup that has worked flawlessly for 3.5 seasons. Today all of a sudden the front derailleur shifter is very stiff when shifting with the lever (i.e. from the small to the big ring). Nothing seems wrong with cable, etc. I'm a good mechanic, but have no idea what parts might be needed for the shifter. Is this the G-spring problem, also it's weird that the left side would fail first as I shift the right side about 10X as much. Should I just take it apart and look? Comments appreciated.

Mike

· Registered
10,161 Posts
cable...

I would replace the cable and housing first, then see how it works. You don;t mention mileage, but I replace the cable and housings at 5,000 miles or less. If I'm changing bar tape and I've got over 3500 on the cable and housing, I'll go ahead and change it rather than half to trash some relatively new bar tape, later.

You can check the function before retaping the cable housing and bar tape. If things don't improve, then you can move on to a ergo lever rebuild.

Check the BB cable guide while you're at it.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, looks like a general clean up and lube of the FD did the trick. Shifts well. I guess it was just dirty. Makes me wonder if I shouldn't keep a few of the known failure items around though for the shifters.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.