Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Soul Mining
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of some reassurance on a purchase I'm about to make.

I have the dreaded Centaur QS Escape ergopower shifters on my Centaur equipped bike, bought in Jan 2008.

My rear Escape shifter has failed and the replacement shift mechanism I bought seems to have a defective index gear, so the shifting isn't right. As a result, I've grown sick of these Centaur levers and want to get rid of them at all costs.

I have found a set of Chorus QS Ergo 10sp shifters that are exactly what I need.

So...are there any compatibility issues here, or can I upgrade to Chorus QS shifters without trouble?

Thanks for the help.

· Registered
1,392 Posts
They are interchangable.

BTW, I've have never heard anyone call the Centaurs, "dreaded". I built up a bike with these, sold the bike to a friend and both of us had nothing but praise for the shifters and groupo. To each their own, but my guess is if you find the Centaur dreaded you will find the Chorus and Record dreaded, too.

You might want to go to Shimano or Sram instead.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
info...

Centaur shifter made from '07-'08 are unlike any others from Campy. They use the cheap escape mechanism, brought up from the lowly Xenon level. They don't work like Record, Chorus or prior year Centaur and Veloce. They have limited functions on the thumb button (one cog per push of the thumb button) and limited trimming ability from the left shifter.

· Registered
1,392 Posts
Although the shifting is differant on the thumb you can quickly get to where you want and I never really felt like there was much loss from my Chorus shifters. I've been using Campy brifters forever, always Chorus, and although the escape mechanism is a differant mechanism on the Centaur it has never been dreaded and always worked fine for me.

· Soul Mining
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I call them 'dreaded' because the Escape mechanism is so limited compared to the normal Campag shifting system. On top of this, the cheap, plastic bits inside wear out much faster than on normal Campag shifters, meaning they need to be repaired more often. And, since the thumb lever is riveted in place and wears out the quickest, it means the entire shifter body has to be replaced in one go, so I can't just rebuild it using the individual parts.

In short, it's a terrible design. Yes, it works; I've used it for three seasons now. But when the time comes to repair a worn out shifter, its shortcomings suddenly come to the fore.

· Registered
1,392 Posts
The The said:
I call them 'dreaded' because the Escape mechanism is so limited compared to the normal Campag shifting system. On top of this, the cheap, plastic bits inside wear out much faster than on normal Campag shifters, meaning they need to be repaired more often. And, since the thumb lever is riveted in place and wears out the quickest, it means the entire shifter body has to be replaced in one go, so I can't just rebuild it using the individual parts.

In short, it's a terrible design. Yes, it works; I've used it for three seasons now. But when the time comes to repair a worn out shifter, its shortcomings suddenly come to the fore.
Understood

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.