Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got in my Veloce cassette and was disappointed to see that it was not chrome plated as I thought. It is galvanized. In the past I always had good luck with chrome plated cassettes regarding wear. Can anyone tell me if I should spring another $10 for the Centaur that is chrome plated vs. galvanized?

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,894 Posts
Yes the Centaur cassette is chrome plated, and the new 2011 ones have a carrier for the last 2 sprockets (saving 28 grams). I'm not sure that's worth doubling the price though .

·
Registered
21,541 Posts
Why so sad?

High Gear said:
I just got in my Veloce cassette and was disappointed to see that it was not chrome plated as I thought. It is galvanized. In the past I always had good luck with chrome plated cassettes regarding wear. Can anyone tell me if I should spring another $10 for the Centaur that is chrome plated vs. galvanized?
I guess it's not clear why this is a problem. After a very short period of use, you likely would only see a very minor difference in surface appearance. If the cassette was to wear more quickly or shift poorly, then this might be an issue. Otherwise, it seems like it's more about how it looks before it's ever installed.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I was more thinking about the quality and hardness of the steel cogs. I know chrome plated is more harder than gavanization. But on the other hand, the knifes edge of the cog would probably take little time to break through any plate, then it would be up to the hardness of the steel to repel wear.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
High Gear said:
No, I was more thinking about the quality and hardness of the steel cogs. I know chrome plated is more harder than gavanization. But on the other hand, the knifes edge of the cog would probably take little time to break through any plate, then it would be up to the hardness of the steel to repel wear.
Having been in the machine repair business regular chrome isn't the same as "hard chrome." If Campy was using hard chrome then yes the cassettes would be better.

http://www.finishing.com/faqs/chrome.html

Read the section on decorative and hard chrome plating. Hope it helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts