Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hadn't done any overnight camping trips on the bike yet so when the Polk Area Bicycle Association members planned a weekend trip to Arcadia from Lakeland FL I figured it would be a great opportunity to try it out. I borrowed a trailer from a fellow club member who also planned on camping that weekend, packed my gear and off we went. Ended up with 85 miles saturday and 60 coming back Sunday. Saturday we went into a relentless headwind and with the loaded trailers my buddy and I kept up w/ the unloaded hotel racers for the first half only then they waited for us at the convenience stores and such. I really noticed when the group would yo-yo more w/ the trailer cause it was harder to get going once you slowed down other than that it rolled pretty good. If I were to buy my own I'd get a single wheeled BOB instead of the dual wheeled Burley I was pulling. Here's some pixxors....

Gutfiddle representin the Lounge

PABA takin up the road

"Pixie" drafting behind my trailer

changing the only flat of the day

back in the paceline

little country store in the middle of nowhere

old cracker house turned Baptist church in Ona

I call this "reflections"

not quite hungry enuf to chase the country store chickens

Solomon's Castle

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Walnut Pie

a biker's oasis

my destination, the Peace River in Arcadia

Nice soft sand to camp on

Headed back home

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Nice. I've yet to try riding with a trailer due to the type of bikes I ride (they don't like trailers). I need to change that someday.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Oh man, if I had only known (and been in Florida) I would have driven down with my 4x4 with the **** hounds in the back (if I only owned a 4x4 and hounds) and terrorized the campground! :blush2:

No sleep for Gutfiddle!!! :D

BTW did you have a good time, would you do it again?

BTW2 have you ever checked out the amazingly great cabins at Lake Louisa?

BTW3 got a route slip you could share?

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
That looks like fun.

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,876 Posts
Sweet. Headed down thataway in April with my sweetie for a 5 day trip. Starting near Ocala and ending up on the Withlacoochie trail. At least that's the plan a month out. Is that your neck of the woods? Any local beta?

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
wooglin said:
Sweet. Headed down thataway in April with my sweetie for a 5 day trip. Starting near Ocala and ending up on the Withlacoochie trail. At least that's the plan a month out. Is that your neck of the woods? Any local beta?
The Withlacoochee ain't bad for a MUT, not bad at all. The thing feels like it is in the middle of nowhere but in fact for most of the length of the thing you are fairly near services.

Nice kayaking on the Withlacoochee river too.

What do you have in mind?

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MB1 said:
Oh man, if I had only known (and been in Florida) I would have driven down with my 4x4 with the **** hounds in the back (if I only owned a 4x4 and hounds) and terrorized the campground! :blush2:

No sleep for Gutfiddle!!! :D

BTW did you have a good time, would you do it again?

BTW2 have you ever checked out the amazingly great cabins at Lake Louisa?

BTW3 got a route slip you could share?
there were plenty of ******** on 4wheelers in camp cruisin around my site but i was so tired after watching the stars and listening to the river for about 1 minute i was sound asleep. It was a great time, I exerted myself too hard early on trying to keep up w/ the group which is my only regret. Me and the other loaded tour'er shoulda rode our own pace from the beginning. Have you ever been so exhausted you lost your appetite, that's how I felt Saturday, until I smelled the beer and bbq:thumbsup: They hotel was about 5 miles from my camp and I had to ride thru the "bad" part of town at night after dinner but I had lights on my bike and didnt have any hassle.

I'm not familiar w/ the cabins at Lake Louisa but I will check it out, isnt that a state park? I've camped at Trimble Park between Lake Beauclair and Lake Carlton just south of Mt Dora and that's a really nice campground and central location for riding.

I'll get the cue sheet from the guy that put the ride together and post it here, there were very few turns as we stayed on long straight backroads w/ little traffic.

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,876 Posts
MB1 said:
The Withlacoochie ain't bad for a MUT, not bad at all. The thing feels like it is in the middle of nowhere but in fact for most of the length of the thing you are fairly near services.

Nice kayaking on the Withlacoochie river too.

What do you have in mind?
Current plan is Silver Springs (just east of Ocala) to the Withlacoochie trail. Down the trail to the end. Then reverse it all.

But we're open for suggestion. We'll be on a tandem with a trailer. 40 mile days sound about right given our fitness level right now. The real trick is going to be finding pretty spots to camp. Any and all help is appreciated. :)

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wooglin said:
Withlacoochie Trail is a very nice ride thru the woods, we went from the south trailhead up thru Crooms WMA weekend before last and didnt pass a soul, was a beautiful route. It's quite a bit north west from Mulberry and I'm not too familiar w/ the area.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ridgetop said:
Nice. I've yet to try riding with a trailer due to the type of bikes I ride (they don't like trailers). I need to change that someday.
steel is real!:thumbsup:

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,876 Posts
gutfiddle said:
Withlacoochie Trail is a very nice ride thru the woods, we went from the south trailhead up thru Crooms WMA weekend before last and didnt pass a soul, was a beautiful route. It's quite a bit north west from Mulberry and I'm not too familiar w/ the area.
That sounds like what we want. Just gotta find campsites. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
gutfiddle said:
One day just for chuckles we rode the whole thing out-n-back. Wasn't bad.

This is what you can expect.

·
banned from the museum
6,622 Posts
Ridgetop said:

?????

What kind of bike doesn't like a trailer? BOB's work on about anything.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
wooglin said:
That looks nice. Thanks. I've found a couple of decent looking campgrounds, but nothing at the north end. Or at least the one that is there may be closed.
We thought the north end kind of sucked so no loss there.

When are you thinking you will be doing this?

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
do the gators eat the campers in FLA?

looks like a nice ride to somebody who has cold and rainy weather right now.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts