Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Where is that 6 miles climb?

One climb I like quite a bit not far from Fitchburg is 119 by Willard Brook.
Willard Brook is a nice climb, nice decent too.

Guessing from the video (skips around so hard to be certain) it might be the Ringe Rd Climb. Ringe rd goes from the rotary on 31 all the way up to 119, most of it uphill.

On that side of fitchburg you also have ashburnham rd which is a long climb or Westminster to Alpine rd which will also end up on ashburnham rd near the top. These are shorter than Ringe but probably steeper.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
thanks, I'll have to check out Rindge road. I've taken 101 from 119 down to Ashburnham a few times (fun and fast stretch) so I know where that climb ends but I've never taken that road.

I wish I could remember the names of the roads to tell you guys but fyi I've stumbled upon some pretty good climbs in an around Royalston. But man, is the road quality bad in Royalston (oddly because all around Royalston it's decent.

A few months ago I went from Jaffrey west then South to Northfied and on the way back winged it and bushwacked without having a clue back east though Warwick, Royalston and eventually to Winchendon before heading north back to Jaffrey. That was a beautiful ride.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I don't get over the border into NH or VT very often on the bike. Though I have been up on 101 to 119 and done some parts of 119. Most of my rides are around princeton/sterling/lancaster/boylston, and on the weekends out west towards petersham and gilbertville. On that note if you have never been to it, Rose 32 in Gilbertville is a favorite cycling destination around here. We usually ride out from Holden or Paxton out to rose32, have some coffee and a pastry and ride back.

If you like climbs Western MA has some good ones with Greylock and several other big hills around there. I just did the greylock century this past Sat (almost 10000ft of climbing) and my legs are still wrecked.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Thanks. I've never even heard of Gilberville but just google mapped it. I've taken 32 from Richmond NH down to Athol a few times and see I could have just kept going on 32 to get to Gilberville.

I've only been up Greylock once as part of a much longer ride. Great climb as were the other we did. It was one of the most enjoyable rides I've ever done and got to get back out there. Kingsley Hill Road is one I remember for being really steep. not that long but about as steep as it gets.

·
Registered
985 Posts
The century route is downhill/flat for the first 20ish miles, then you go up greylock from the south side, down the north then you start climbing out of north adams on rte 2 up that switchback, you have another small bump up to the top of whitecomb and then a long 8+ mile descent on rte 2 east until you get off to go up east hawley rd. Those are the 3 big climbs but after that it is mostly up and down on a series of smaller climbs. East Hawley despite being the shortest of the three ends up being the most miserable, part of it being that it is later in the ride so your legs are already worn a bit, plus being later in the day it has been pretty hot the two years I have done it which doesn't help.

I have heard of some really steep roads out there but I am only really familiar with the century route.

If you like coffee and pastries (they have food too) you have to stop by rose32 (found easily on google for menu/times). When I first moved back to the area I was told it was the best coffee and pastries in central MA by some of the guys I started riding with but didn't pay it much mind until I eventually made it out there on one of the rides with them. Now it is a common weekend destination if there aren't any other organized rides going on. I even have to drive my wife out on occasion after she saw a few too many photos of the food. I still find it odd how a place that good is out in the middle of nowhere like gilbertville (wish it was closer to home), but at least this way it makes for a good biking destination and not someplace to stop every day and get fat from.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
of course I like coffee and pastries.......why else would I do so much cycling?

Seriously though, thanks. I look forward to checking that place out.

·
Hammer
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rindge Road is the climb, overall it's a great climb to set a good tempo on. Their are no real steep sections, and the road is in great condition. I love Willard Brook and follow that threw Ashby all the way to rte. 202 in Rindge NH.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts