Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've come in contact with someone selling a centurion sport dlx and i did a little research to find out it is an old entry level bike and worth very little.

http://bham.craigslist.org/bik/1875765060.html

But im in need of a decent road bike to take me to school and back and am on a fairly low budget.The seller has come down to 175$ for the bike and I don't know much about centurion or the quality of their bikes.

Was hoping someone can fill me in a bit.



Note*I have recently been trying riding different bikes just to learn more about how they ride and decide which type of bike is right for me.I have truly liked the older bikes and i get more satisfaction out of riding them for some odd reason.I have only been asking questions on various bikes truly just to learn more about various brands and styles of bikes and am not asking questions on pricing just to learn how to "Flip" bikes.


Thanks to those who don't pass judgement on me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
You can probably find some info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_(bicycle)

It's a good bike-shop quality brand. That bike would be fine as a commuter, if it fits. $175 seems seems a little high considering the rust spots on the seatpost (make sure it's not stuck) and the rips and electrical tape on the foam grips. Tange Infinity is a good tubeset.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Hey Jos - Thats a Birmingham phone number...is local to you? if so, nice to see another Alabama guy on the forum!

thats the entry level Centurion based on components, etc...the Centurion Ironman series came out around 1988-1989 and those were really nice. If this one fits you, I'd say jump on as even the lower end Centurions were pretty decent bikes. The chain-stays look on the long side from the pics, so it probably has a fairly smooth ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
josephr said:
Hey Jos - Thats a Birmingham phone number...is local to you? if so, nice to see another Alabama guy on the forum!

thats the entry level Centurion based on components, etc...the Centurion Ironman series came out around 1988-1989 and those were really nice. If this one fits you, I'd say jump on as even the lower end Centurions were pretty decent bikes. The chain-stays look on the long side from the pics, so it probably has a fairly smooth ride.
I've been staying right outside of downtown birmingham near hwy 280 for the summer with family.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
cool...there are some nice groups rides out of Homewood Cycle if you get a chance. Also, if you're familiar with Sicard Hollow Road, lot of guys ride through there. Oak Mtn State Park is good too.

not sure if this bike is being sold by the same guy or not, but there's a Flandria on CL (reposted) and I haven't been to his house yet, but he says he's got about 70+ bikes and he buys/sells to pay for his hobby. You might want to call him and see what he's got. Have you been to bicicoop?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
josephr said:
cool...there are some nice groups rides out of Homewood Cycle if you get a chance. Also, if you're familiar with Sicard Hollow Road, lot of guys ride through there. Oak Mtn State Park is good too.

not sure if this bike is being sold by the same guy or not, but there's a Flandria on CL (reposted) and I haven't been to his house yet, but he says he's got about 70+ bikes and he buys/sells to pay for his hobby. You might want to call him and see what he's got. Have you been to bicicoop?
Yea I've been looking at bike clubs and was planning on going on a ride with a group this summer but never got around to it.And i noticed the 70s flandria road bike and peugeot and fuji that guy is selling.I emailed him but didn't get a response and I'm leaving tomorrow to head back to Georgia so the guy selling the Centurion is willing to meet today which may be more convinient.
 

·
Unlabeled
Joined
·
3,720 Posts
djmuff said:
You can probably find some info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_(bicycle)

It's a good bike-shop quality brand. That bike would be fine as a commuter, if it fits. $175 seems seems a little high considering the rust spots on the seatpost (make sure it's not stuck) and the rips and electrical tape on the foam grips. Tange Infinity is a good tubeset.
I think that $175 is more than a little high for an entry level 1987 bike with stem shifters, 27" wheels, rusting seatpost, and what looks like original cable housings. You probably need to repack every bearing, install new cables, new brake pads, new tires and tubes, new handlebar tape. Based on the condtion of the seat post, the spoke nipples are probably frozen making it impossible to true the wheels. My opinion of a fair price is $50.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Reynolds531 said:
I think that $175 is more than a little high for an entry level 1987 bike with stem shifters, 27" wheels, rusting seatpost, and what looks like original cable housings. You probably need to repack every bearing, install new cables, new brake pads, new tires and tubes, new handlebar tape. Based on the condtion of the seat post, the spoke nipples are probably frozen making it impossible to true the wheels. My opinion of a fair price is $50.
shame on me...didn't look at the pictures that close! I just read the description and scanned the pics noticing a two-piece crank and the paint seemed to be in good condition. I completely glossed over the suicide levers and the stem-mounted shifters. :mad2:

Unless you're buying a bike to ride around at college or something, I'd probably pass altogether. If you did, I agree with 531 that $50 should be your max. I wouldn't by a bike on convenience though.

Give him a little time, especially if you're going to be back in Birmingham for a while...he's been pretty good about emailing me back so far.
Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the posts guys.I was getting ready to head out there today to look at it but I think it would be a good idea to pass all together because I'm not really looking for a Fix-er-upper.

I think i will have to be more patient.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
I have a mint Sport Dlx with less than 500 miles on it. Personally I think it is a very nice ride. I paid $80 for mine, but thats the market here in STL, pretty cheap bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Jos123 has been a fine act here. People often cite low low prices for getting something, it's hard to quantify really, with so many expenses being involved in a bike, truing wheels, new cables, new tires, new tubes, I've got close to an ideal bike now because I was able to put a triple crank on a road bike, more expenses but worth it.

To heck with the price talk if it is all within reason!

But I'd like to have one of those Centurions, cool name! Or at least give one a spin. I've always heard good things about them.

Often though, I'm finding, instead of getting one more bike here and there, improve on what one has, because even then, something special might happen one's way but it might not if you realistically don't have room for another bike and your storage is more like in and out and in and out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,597 Posts
The Centurion that was cool was the Ironman, and the road race geometry. The Centurion in that picture is clearly a touring model geometry. Stay away from it if you want to ride with a club.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Jos mentioned some other bicycles. Those other Craig List bikes are truly unique, well, the Flandria is, that's a whole matter to research, lots of Fujis around but apparently a good make and that's why there are a number around.

That Flandria is an interesting look alright. Something I know nothing about but like everything else, do a web search on it. Looks a bit like a UO8 Peugeot or something, maybe a bit heavy unless it has some high quality tubing. But there were and still are many Peugeots around because some models were inexpensive, good bikes and I've seen quite a few other brands that appear similar especially with white colored bikes, it seems a bit like the other makers were imitating Peugeot who had a lot of success.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Hooben said:
The Centurion that was cool was the Ironman, and the road race geometry. The Centurion in that picture is clearly a touring model geometry. Stay away from it if you want to ride with a club.
I will be finishing putting back together a Dave Scott Ironman by tomorrow, well thats the plan anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
2 Dave Scott Ironmans on Ebay.

Boca Raton Florida has a Centurion Iron Man, $149; buy it now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/centurion-ironm...md=ViewItem&pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item2308f97e8e

Of course, these are not mine. That's a durn reasonable price. The saddle, looks a bit big and barely elevated. Oh well, the bike may have been bigger than the rider.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CENTURION-DAVE-...md=ViewItem&pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item27b327e301

This other one too. $369, mercy me, they went all out on this one.

(apologies for my 4th post here, subject that has interested me for awhile)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Hooben said:
The Centurion that was cool was the Ironman, and the road race geometry. The Centurion in that picture is clearly a touring model geometry. Stay away from it if you want to ride with a club.

Thats the point I was trying to make earlier...the Centurion Ironman is the one to get, the one in that pic is a piece of crap...not worthy of the Centurion reputation, JMO.

If I remember correctly, the Centurions were mfg in Japan and imported by the same folks that brought in Mongoose and Diamond Back -- West Coast or something???

Anyway, heard from Jos123 that he picked up on the Fuji so I told him he better post pictures!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am very pleased with my purchase of the fuji. Just wanted to express my gratitude to the members who helped me make a better decision.

Jalen
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top