1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got back into cycling in the early 90's, my first bike was a 1987
Dave Scott Ironman..

Unfortunately it was a 56cm and I ride a 51cm

Even though it was too big, I loved the bike and always told myself I'd get another one that fit.

I've been following a 51cm red/white Ironman on eBay this week and decided to go for it...From the pics, it's a very clean example.

I should receive the bike next week....

I plan on probably swapping out the 105 with period correct Dura Ace.......I still have decided on whether I'll use a Brooks or Regal saddle...

Here are some pics from the seller

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I had the "one year only" carbon fibre Dave Scott Ironman. Got it on a closeout from Bikecology (soon to become Supergo - now Supergone) in 1989. 600/Ultegra, etc. Smooth ride but the biggest noodle I've ever ridden. Made a Vitus feel stiff.

Several guys in my old club had upper end Centurions. Really nice, underrated bikes.

Nice find, Dave. We had a guy come into the shop a month ago with one, the 600 spec (I forget which one was the Master and which the Expert.) Hanging in the garage for a decade, dirty, rotted tires, rusty cables and bolts, dried out housing, etc. He wanted to fix it up to sell it. Well, the estimate was $150 to bring it back to life. I told the guy I'd give him $50 for it just the way it was (it was my size) but that I'd be stealing it. I advised him not to put a cent into, put it on Craigslist just the way it was for at least the $150.

He said if he didn't sell it, he'd bring it back and I could have it for the $50. Haven't seen him since.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The bike arrived this week...I spend last night stripping off the parts and polishing/touching up the frame.... I'm very pleased with the condition.......you have to love bikes from Arizona.. rust? I don't think so.....not a bit. and the red/white paint rocks:thumbsup:

I'm going to build it up with Dura Ace parts this weekend and eBay the old 105 group.

Here is the frame.. More pics to come later this weekend

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
well it is a nice bike. it's nice to have the one you've always wanted, right? (I'm talking about bikes).

I still miss the old Raleigh Comp G.S. that my dad took to the landfill.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Creakyknees said:
well it is a nice bike. it's nice to have the one you've always wanted, right? (I'm talking about bikes).

I still miss the old Raleigh Comp G.S. that my dad took to the landfill.
yeah, I've been looking for one for a while.....this is going to be my second string geared bike behind my JP Weigle...

My 3Rensho track is still at the painters..THAT is the bike I always wanted...soon.....

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Interesting stuff

Looks pretty nice and Tange's a good set. Interested to see it fully built out. You going with DA or what it came with?

Dave Hickey said:
As usual, Sheldon Brown's page is a wealth of information..

Here is a very good history of the Centurion line

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/centurion/index.html

1 - 20 of 49 Posts