Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
here comes trouble
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As some of you know and some of you don't, I recently received an Ironman Centurion from kpcw via handsomerob (who built it). Estone2 tossed in the pedals. I'm not sure why I was the recipient of such a nice guesture, but anywho - today I got to take it out for our first real ride together. I need to name this beast, and it is definitely a beast (I'll take tasteful suggestions :wink: ). Very little road noise transfer, responds well, good breaking, and no complaints about learning DT shifters (I live in the flats, it's not so bad). There are more photos of the bike in this thread:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=65050

Rob, kp - a few adjustments are left to be made. I definitely need to move the seat back a bit. I'm going to see how that works before I decide if the stem needs to be swapped for a longer one. I'm giving the 42cm bars 'til the end of the week before I decide whether to ditch them for 44s. I have to say, judging from this ride I am not digging the smaller bars. On the upside, feeling a bit cramped is easy to fix.

So without further ado, here are the photos:

1) The street I live on. My white house is hiding out behind the trees on the left. The bay is hiding out beyond the grass to the right. Notice all the damn gravel in the asphalt. When I say the steel dampens vibration, I mean it dampens a LOT of vibration.

2) We call this the castle. It's a few blocks from my house, and the people who built it are totally weird.

3) Paint doesn't wear jerseys or sleeves.

4) Brand new asphalt. This is the best road in my neighborhood, but it's only about 5 miles long.

5) I'm not sure if this chicken is smoking a really long pipe or if he's playing an instrument. Either way, it's still a random chicken.

6) This house used to be two smaller houses. The two small houses held a lot of sentimental value to the family who owned them, but they needed more space. Instead of tearing them down, the family shoved them together and remodeled, adding a porch and tweaking everything to make them fit. Outside of my own house, it is my favorite in the neighborhood.

7) This is the neighbor's house that caught on fire last week. They've done a lot of restoration work already.

8) My camera bag setup. Also, you can see the cyclometer's liquid crystal (or whatever) display is totally toasted by the sun. Note to self: "Schwinn quality" may not mean the same thing today that it did 10 years ago. Don't buy cyclometers at Wal Mart, even for your alternate bikes.

9 and 10) I'm new to the look style pedals on this bike (I run spd-SLs on my 'dale). After having zero problems getting in and out of them on the short spin I took yesterday and the ride so far today, I was getting a little cocky. That's when it happened. About 2 miles from my house I made a U-turn at a stop sign (no traffic). I clipped into my left pedal wrong. My heel was pointed way too far inward and I couldn't twist out. I tried getting out of my right pedal to stop (I usually leave the right clipped), but I wasn't fast enough. I braced for the asphalt, and we had our first face to face meeting.

On the upside, the frame was not damaged at all, nor was my camera (hanging vicariously from the bars). My elbow took the brunt of the crash, as you will see. In 10 you can see the beginning of the huge lump that has now formed. I look like I have two elbows. Another upshot is that the crash gave me a chance to check out the macro function on my new pocketdigi.

11, 12, and 13) Shots of the Centurion for those who have not yet seen it. You may recognize it from handsomerob's thread on general about project frames.

11) I fell such that I could not stand back up while my left foot was still clipped in, and I couldn't get clipped out. So I had to take the shoe off. Here it is dangling from the pedal. To get it out I had to twist way in toward the rear tri. I would never have been able to do this while still on the bike.

Hope you enjoyed the ride around my neighborhood. The report leaves much to be desired, but I'm sure I'll be improving with time. :)

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I ride with 42 bars and they seem fine to me. You don't want to be a barn door going down the road. Just how big are you? :D

My guess is you got the bike because you are a young female. :idea: It really looks very nice so enjoy it and stop crashing. :yikes:

·
here comes trouble
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
vol245 said:
I ride with 42 bars and they seem fine to me. You don't want to be a barn door going down the road. Just how big are you? :D
I'm not that big! But I'm not tiny, either. I'm built like a tall person with a really short torso. :p

I said I would give the 42s a chance! I'm hoping to get between 8-12 hours in on 'em before I drop the bike off at the shop while I'm on vacation.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
paint said:
9 and 10) I'm new to the look style pedals on this bike (I run spd-SLs on my 'dale). After having zero problems getting in and out of them on the short spin I took yesterday and the ride so far today, I was getting a little cocky. That's when it happened. About 2 miles from my house I made a U-turn at a stop sign (no traffic). I clipped into my left pedal wrong. My heel was pointed way too far inward and I couldn't twist out. I tried getting out of my right pedal to stop (I usually leave the right clipped), but I wasn't fast enough. I braced for the asphalt, and we had our first face to face meeting.
Actually I believe the pedals you have on the Centurion are SPD-SL's. You might just need to adjust them for easier release.

I originally thought I would be sending the LOOK's that Bonk offered. Turned out I returned the PM from E who offered the ones on the bike.

·
Registered
168 Posts
handsomerob said:
Actually I believe the pedals you have on the Centurion are SPD-SL's. You might just need to adjust them for easier release.

I originally thought I would be sending the LOOK's that Bonk offered. Turned out I returned the PM from E who offered the ones on the bike.
I have those pedals, and I've made the same mistake. I don't think that adjusting for easier release will help. In fact, I've had that problem when my heel has swung inwards when I'm freewheeling at speed. My pedals are Wellgo SPD-SL clones, and they're decent.

·
here comes trouble
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm 90% sure after looking at these that they're wellgo. I know the cleats are. I don't know enough about pedals to tell what they are just at a glance. It takes some inspection. I guess if I had done my research I wouldn't have had to buy new shoes. Ah, hell. There's never a bad reason to buy new shoes. :D

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I noticed the cameral case. When I am out riding to take pictures, I use a Bento Box that velcros to the headtube/stem and top tube to hold my camera. (bento is Japanese for box so it is a box box) You can get them at tri geek places and could use it to carry girl stuff or powerbars if you aren't carrying a camera. Take more pictures, they are always welcome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.