Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Friends

A newbie here with an almost-never-ridden Centurion Super Le Mans probably from late '70's. Been sitting in an attic for all these years. All parts are in place and original. Paint and pinstripping is good but has a few rust spots. Tape on handlebars original and near perfect. Tange Champion 5 CoMd tubing, 12 spd SunTour front and back, Everything else just dirty but fully functioning. 27" tires still hold air but I'd never trust 'em.... Wondering if I should restore it (never done one fully) or move it to an interested buyer, yet have no idea of value. Ideas welcomed.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Check in the Retro-classic forum. But since they sold a ton of those I doubt it's worth much as a collector.

OTOH it might be fun, though 27" wheels will make it harder to find good tires.

Personally, having ridden bikes like that when they were new, if I wanted a bike to ride and had the money I'd buy a new bike. Even an inexpensive modern bike will ride, shift and brake much better than a low to mid-range bike from back then.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
There are enough good tires in the 27 size to make you happy, tires from Schawlbe, Continental, Panaracer, and Vittoria, sure not racing tires but several great long lasting training tires. You will have to buy a aluminum grommet that will fit into the schrader valve hole in the rim that converts the rim to presta but that's simple and cheap to do.

I would keep the bike, they're difficult to come by and those 70s models come with with chrome fork and stay ends, a really nice looking bike.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I had a centurion. 1987 vintage. Sun tour components. I probably put 5000 miles on it in three years. Not a drop of maintenance.

College, marriage, kids happened. Rode it a bit when my daughter was very little. I even put a baby seat on the back of that bike.

Dug it out of the garage 8 years ago, started riding it. I think I put new tires on it at that time. Otherwise, not a drop of maintenance. Rode it for a whole season to see if I would have the gumption to keep riding.

Bought a trek 2.5. Yeah, they make good bikes. :D

My Centurion Was made with a steel, lugged frame. Solid.

Sold it four years ago. $50. I wish I still had it for sentimental reasons, but I know I would never ride it. But, my son who is now two inches taller than me could ride it, and we could spend a few miles together on the road.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
'restore'...? no.

just clean it up and ride it for a while.

if it's not doing it for you, you can sell it on CL in a heartbeat to some fixie hipster type dying to ruin another lugged steel bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Oxtox and to all the others. I did indeed put it up on Craigslist as is. Y'all were helpful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts